Author Topic: Can you date this book? Under Two Flags- Ouida  (Read 1402 times)

edb_app

• View Profile
Can you date this book? Under Two Flags- Ouida
« on: February 01, 2011, 01:28:00 am »
I have this book that I purchased at an estate sale. I can not find any pictures matching this cover. The inside is very fragile and yellowed. Attached are some pictures of the cover and some pages inside. There is no publishing date. Any assistance as to a time line and possible worth would be wonderful! Thank you!

waywardangler

Re: Can you date this book? Under Two Flags- Ouida
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 01:43:58 am »
First published in 1867, paperbacks could be had as late as 2009.  I think this is a much later printing and the condition is such that most collectors would wait for a better copy. JMO.

A similar condition copy by the same publisher...
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:c662IDwfjC0J:www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults%3Fan%3DOuida%26tn%3DUnder%2BTwo%2BFlags+under+two+flags+by+ouida,+lupton+publisher&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com
#8. Book Description: F.M. Lupton, New York. Hard Cover. Book Condition: Poor. NO Jacket. yellowed pages, some marks, binding loose, some pages falling out. Bookseller Inventory # 605081  $2.00
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:51:53 am by waywardangler »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 01:58:35 am »
Good Morning... The book was originally published in 1867, but judging by the book that is advertised within, published in 1900, yours won't be a first edition, but still an interesting book c 110 years old.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:01:41 am »
Hi Wayward... you got there first.

Hi edb_app

The book mentioned is 'A Kent Squire', and it would seem that it was being newly released at the time your edition was published, hence my guessing it dates from c 1900 ... I can't quite make out what is being said in the advert, but you could check to see what is being said about that particular book, which should help you date it.

Good luck
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 02:04:42 am by mariok54 »