Author Topic: Asking about an Items History Pays Off!  (Read 1983 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Asking about an Items History Pays Off!
« on: June 26, 2011, 10:31:17 am »
I always like to ask about the history of the antiques I buy. Most of the time people who are selling their items know nothing about them, but once in a while I am able to learn who the former owners were, and that is always a plus to me. So I always ask and sometimes it pays off, like it did yesterday.

I won an auction for a late 1800's hair comb/pin. It is celluloid imitating tortoise shell and I bought it to go with my Victorian costuming because it is the right time period and it can help hold my snood in place now, and can be worn in my hair later as it grows out. It celebrates an important milestone for me of my life returning to normal again.  :) I also love the obvious signs of age in the old "diamante" rhinestones which have darkened wonderfully with time.

Here is the comb:

This was a family item being sold by an Australian seller. Here is the description:

This antique curved celluloid tortoise shell hair adornment measures 11.5cms in length and 6cms in width.  It is a very dark celluloid tortoise shell and has 22 diamontes embedded in the celluloid.  All the diamontes are there however some of them are quite dark. The comb is in near perfect condition.  I know it is at least 120 years old  having belonged to my great grandmother-in-law who was born in 1872.  I have never seen any modern hair adornments as special fine as this one.  I have never worn it and it is sad to have it sitting in a drawer.

When I asked, she sent the following info about her family:

The owner of the comb was Emma Amelia Lambert (nee Knott)born in Warwick, Queensland, Australia on 3rd April, 1872. She was the daughter of John Perring Knott and Mary Heath Knott who both came to Australia in the 1860's from Brent, Devonshire, England. They had 4 children born in Brent, Devonshire and 5 children born in Warwick, Queensland. Emma Amelia was their 3rd child born in Australia. She died on 21st October, 1906 during childbirth.

And this is Emma's photo!

Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

Re: Asking about an Items History Pays Off!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 10:39:58 am »
Déjà vu! Nice purchase and story, Tales!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:57:17 am »
She is stunning in her looks - beautiful eyes, nose, mouth!  Very nice find!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 12:33:13 pm »
Died in childbirth ... Oh what a common story that used to be  :(

And from Death, springs Life

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 12:38:08 pm »
Yes, childbirth and the second most common cause of death were due to fire, with the combination of long sleeves and full skirts near the cooking hearth.  :(
Antiqueaholic in recovery