Author Topic: Chandelier  (Read 2061 times)

tony641

• View Profile
Chandelier
« on: March 25, 2012, 08:38:51 pm »
Ok sorry but all I have is this one picture.  I took some others but they did not turn out.  This chandelier is in my grandparent’s house.  They moved in back in the early 1940 and this was in there at that time.  The house is much older than that.  It’s hard to tell in the picture but there are women in what I describe as Greek attire playing instruments.  I plan on heading to visit them again this week and can get more photos of any specific parts if it would help.  From the limited info and pictures I have, can anyone tell me anything about this?   Any idea what it might be valued at?

Thanks again

Tony   

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Chandelier
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 11:19:33 pm »
Oh that is a lovely light fixture! Is there any way for someone to get up to it (carefully!) to look for a manufacturer's name? It may be very difficult to identify without one. It's fabulous! ;D
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 08:13:36 am »
Forms are different from most but reminds me of Lalique with the frosted glass !!  Most of his were decorative objects,, never heard if he did chandeliers !!

tony641

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 08:12:40 pm »
We were looking but could not notice any markings on it anywhere.  Any idea where they might be?  I guess I called it a chandelier but that might be the wrong name for it. 

Thanks agian,

Tony

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 07:42:34 am »
Not  a heck of a lot of difference but most refer to those that hang from the ceiling by a chain or other method as a chandelier and those that attach directly to the ceiling as a " ceiling light or fixture" !! Also depends on what part of the country you are in !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:37:06 am »
What are the women doing in the other pics?

Like the ceiling piece!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 01:18:53 pm »
I would suggest that you carefully remove the glass and look with a magnifying glass for a possible signature !!  I checked and Rene` Lalique did do a number of chandeliers and although I did not find anything resembling this one,, it never hurts to check !! Look at the metal parts well sometimes they will be marked !!  At any rate you have a nice Chandelier from the 20`s or 30`s Art Nouveau period !!

tony641

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 05:55:56 pm »
The other women are all playing insturments. One has the horn one has a harp. I dont remember the others. I hope to get to my grandparents this week, weekend for sure. Ill look for thesr markings then. Thanks again.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 06:36:44 pm »
 Lighting 101. A fixture is anything that is fixed to a floor, wall or ceiling. A light fixture can be a chandelier, pendant, wall bracket, sconce, flush mounted or canopy mounted lamp holder. Chandeliers are typically pendant fixtures with arms and bobeches that mimic candle holders.  In French, Chandelier means something that holds candlesr. A light fixture is referred to as a luminaire as a general term in French and also English today distinguishing it in plans as a fixture that lights. Luminary is also used. That fixture is a flush mounted luminaire or light fixture unless it hangs. Then it is a pendant mounted luminaire or fixture. A lamp is a the electric part that lights up. A bulb is a type of lamp but a lamp is not always a bulb   Whatever it is a great looking piece from the 30s Art Deco period but with a neo classical design. I would really like to have it. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 10:52:04 pm »
Agree that it is satin neoclassical ceiling light shade that is decorated in women reminiscent of 1915 - 1930!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!