Author Topic: Does anybody know about stove boards?  (Read 1999 times)

mkorns

• View Profile
Does anybody know about stove boards?
« on: February 09, 2011, 05:01:09 pm »
I have had these displayed for over 20 years. I was looking thru e-bay and saw a Wabash board for $200.00!! Can that be?
I have a Wabash Screendoor Co. board and an American Stoveboard Co. board.
Both are in good condition. I thought they were about $25-$30. Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 06:57:56 pm by mkorns »

waywardangler

Re: Does anybody know about stove boards?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:48:02 pm »
I believe the value of an old stove board lies in how decorative the other side is and its condition.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:12:28 pm »
One thing about ebay,,asking price and selling price are two different things !!  Many things have a high starting bid but do not sell. So you can`t really go by that. I always look at what has bids and what doesn`t, and go by what the item actually sells for !!  If you want to watch a particular item and see what it sells for,, put it in your watch list. Then you will have a better idea of actual selling price. 
What are stove boards?? I have never seen one ! 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:15:11 pm by mart »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:21:11 am »
They are thin boards with one side covered with a sheet of tin, bout 3/8" thick all together, and were placed on the floor in front of or underneath of wood/coal burning stoves ...... primarily as a "fire preventer" ...... when hot coals or ashes fell onto the floor when adding wood or cleaning the ashes out of the fire box.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 05:18:58 am »
Thanks !!  Learn something new everyday here !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 07:51:57 pm »
Agree with cogar and mart's comments.  The better the condition, the better the value.  The clearer the printing and with wear that shows (but not over worn).  Also, if the tin is still there. 

Now on some of the finer homes they did have some with slate on the back side - these bring a higher value IF the slate is intact and not broken (was the problem with it).
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!