Author Topic: Porcelain Sign Question  (Read 20512 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Porcelain Sign Question
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2011, 02:15:30 pm »
Ok, I'm thinking about selling another one of my signs. But it's an australian sign and it might do better if I offer shipping to Australia. How big of a hassle is this? Are there extra charges for customs? I have never sent anything to another country.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2011, 02:40:44 pm »
Depending on the size and weight of the sign the shipping to Oz could be quite high. Re extra charges, over here its the buyer who pays all the import duties over about a value of c $30.
A while back I bought something from a Texas auction, didn't have to pay the local States Taxes, which was possibly only 10%, although I could have that wrong, but ended up paying over $160 in duties and VAT just to get it through our customs.   :(

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2011, 03:10:34 pm »
Texas sales tax is 8.25%.  Wow,, thats way high !! How much is your VAT ??

waywardangler

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2011, 03:31:56 pm »
Shipping can be a deal killer which is possibly why your sign did not fetch more. Add shpg to the final price and it hit $60.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2011, 03:35:58 pm »
Hi Mart,

VAT at the time was 17.5% (now it's 20%   :( ) and the remainder was import tax of some description. The item was c $850 before all the charges, but still worth it. Although when I was bidding I hadn't factored that into it ... However, the Postage was FREE   ;D ;D

You seem to have made a reasonable profit there, Hosman,  sell and invest it in something you like a little more ...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2011, 04:25:57 pm »
Just curious but why a vat on an auction item??  I figured that would be retail only !! I don`t think auctions here even add a sales tax.  Its just looked at like a private sale. Of course we are in a smaller town !!  Large auctions in a metropolitan area might have to add sales tax.

waywardangler

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2011, 05:11:22 pm »
Household/farm auctions in Wisconsin where they are disposing of the whole estate, they do not charge sales tax.  Off premises at an auction house with consignors and there is sales tax charged.  Probably varies state by state.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2011, 06:51:54 pm »
Could be a depending on state laws but come to think of it,, I don`t think I have seen it mentioned at larger auctions. Usually they have all the monetary requirements listed so everyone knows what they are spending.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2011, 07:15:13 pm »
In WA/Seattle you pay State/City tax at my auction house.  I also paid it at an estate sale run by a professional company.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2011, 02:08:08 am »
Just curious but why a vat on an auction item??  I figured that would be retail only !! I don`t think auctions here even add a sales tax.  Its just looked at like a private sale. Of course we are in a smaller town !!  Large auctions in a metropolitan area might have to add sales tax.

That got me wondering whether I'd got my facts correct, so I fished out the receipt. I lied  ::)

I paid c $140 VAT and then another c $20 Parcel Force Clearance Fee. That last sum basically was their charge for taking the VAT money off me and paying it to the Govt. Nice work! The reason why I had to pay VAT on it was because it was a high value item and not exempt, and were it imported into this country and retailed to me then I would still have had to pay VAT via the retailer (the govt needs to get their cut no matter what!). That was for the gold Corletto watch that I posted a while back. I can't complain, it has tripled its price tag since I bought it  ;D

Over here all buyers and sellers at Auction pay VAT, but only on the commission paid to the auction house, so the commission will be say 17.5% + (20% of 17.5%)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:26:53 am by mariok54 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2011, 05:24:18 am »
Wow !!  Still too rich for my blood. But seems that you came out Ok if it has increased in value.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2011, 03:13:07 pm »
Wow!  Learning something new every day!

BUT, have also learned....if it is what you have always wanted and you can afford it....get it!  Most likely the chance will not come back around and the mental part of "kicking yourself in the rear for the rest of your life" just isn't worth it!  If it goes up in value...well that is an added bonus!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!