Author Topic: pair of folding chairs, any info required  (Read 3654 times)

roxypooch

• View Profile
pair of folding chairs, any info required
« on: February 19, 2011, 12:42:04 pm »
Hi everyone, im new here, but as my inlaws are moving home and downsizing i may be here for a while, as they have quite alot of stuff, some old, some new and some we just dont know lol.  Everything from cigerette cards, pocket watchs to large pieces of furniture.

First though, they have a pair of chairs which have been in their house for nigh on 30 years, and we know absolutely nothing about them, not sure if they are antiques or if they are replicas, any info you can provide would be muchly appreciated.  Not quite sure what the fabic is, but where the rope is tied, it can fold down.  I personally love these chairs, but i have no room for them, so reluctantly they are going to have to be sold.

Hopefully, here are some pics.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: pair of folding chairs, any info required
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:26:27 pm »
Can you look at the wood under the cushions and search for any markings?  Take a pic without the cushions?

ALSO dimensions of chair completely folded out please!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 05:41:11 am »
Those chairs have a very Art Deco / old Hollywood look to me !!  I love them !!

roxypooch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:30:16 am »
My wife has been to have another look at the chairs, she cant find any markings on them.  But she has taken a couple more pictures with it folded flat and with the middle cushion off (the only one that comes off)

measurements when folded out are w 68 d 28 and h 29

i have been trying to find out as much as i can on google, but i dont even know where to start, is there a name for this particular style or anything?

I really wish i had the space for them, going to hate to see them go :(

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:38:37 am »
They are such a unique design that I would expect them to be from a named maker. Which one ?? I have no idea !! I have never seen that style before !!  But before I sold them, I would find a good auction house, and have them checked and possibly appraised if it was affordable. Is the upholstery original ??  If so check designers from the 60`s - 70`s.  There was a time when bedrooms were all using that material for furniture. Back when the round beds were in style !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 11:03:27 am »
I am confounded by this configuration.  Can you take a pic of the underside of the drop cushion area?

I don't see how this could ever offer support without a drop down leg on the front corner (opposite the roped side).

I am great intrigued by this!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 11:12:29 am »
Except as a design element, I don`t see the purpose of the fold down sides without something to support them. If they had legs of some type on the drop down sides it would make more sense. Still Like them though !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 12:15:18 pm »
I was thinking the same thing that in no time you would snap that fillial off, even with petite Victorian women. You could only put the smallest children there and even then, it just doesn't look like it would take much weight. I wonder if this was a one-of-a-kind piece. I agree it does seem to have that old Hollywood look. Lucy would have loved it.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 12:21:11 pm »
I too am intrigued but can find nothing.  The low-ness of the chair does smack of daybed but being secured by ropes doesn't seem functional.  It seems as though the side could twist (at the hinges) under strain over the years. I suppose the other function would be for knitting, sewing, nursing etc where more arm space is required - you could drop one arm (or both) as needed.

I suppose you could also turn sideways and use it as a lazy-boy type chair...

The boxy-ness reminds me of Craftsman/Stickly style furniture but it wouldn't have turned legs (for the most part) so the boxy-ness is probably more a result of function than style...  

My guess would be 1930-40's based on the leg style and that fact that Craftsman furniture was still "in" but going out by 1940's.  The rope and legs would add a bit of frill to the sterile clean lines of mission furniture.  I am probably reaching but that's the best I've got...  It's only a guess  ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

roxypooch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 12:42:16 pm »
Thanx for your responses and help, any idea on price? value? ive got a few people interested in them but have no idea on what i should let them go for
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:48:24 pm by roxypooch »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 01:04:31 pm »
I think pricing is more a matter of geographic area.  Chairs are tricky...  Even the old ones don't go for much unless they are true works of art IMO/experience.  Look at how much used mission furniture is going for in you neck of the woods.  At auction here (the one I attend and feel that furniture sells high there) I would say they would get $100-125 per.  On Craig's list where folks look for deep discounts...  probably $60-75-ish.

JMO tho...  I'd check Craigslist locally...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 01:41:36 pm »
This one has me stumped too, My first thought was also it would not support the weight of someone sitting on the sides with only rope supports. Really reaching here but  Maybe it was used to sit on with sides open to rest a large wedding gown on while wearing it and garter & shoes were put on.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 03:29:14 pm »
Thats possible, but it would sure limit the usefulness of a piece of furniture. Which was not common in years past. I would still have them looked at by a good auction house. Even Country Living magazine has a place for antique appraisals on their website. I think Kovels does too !! Would hate to sell cheap and find out later they were worth more.