Author Topic: Dolls, do not know much about them.  (Read 4448 times)

bob535

• View Profile
Dolls, do not know much about them.
« on: February 26, 2011, 02:18:39 pm »
I do not know much (anything) about dolls at all, I took a picture of a few, and just wondering if any doll lovers could tell me if any of them look like they would have any value to them. I have no idea where to look for maker marks or anything and too afraid to handle them in the wrong way, but if i knew where to look I would try to find marks.

I can take more pictures if needed.

Here is what I can tell you about them in order from left to right.

The red dressed one has shiny porcelain (?) head feet, hands. The tag you see on it I think may be a thrift store tag with 25 written on it.

The two Amish dolls are plastic, and look cheaply made (but what do I know). Eyes open and close.

The doll in the middle with the white outfit (feels like made out of leather), has a head that feels, and sounds like wood if you tap it. (Eyes open and close)

The Doll all the way to the right has a not shiny glass feel to the head, hands and feet, and a Taiwan sticker on the foot. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Dolls, do not know much about them.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 02:57:36 pm »
All dolls have some value, there are lots of collectors out there. You one on the far left looks like she may be antique, but I would need to see some photos of her, up close on the head and with the dress off if it has not been sewed to the body.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 03:07:34 pm »
On the other dolls, the plastic ones are collectable they all look like they are dolls collected for their ethnic costumes, maybe purchased during travel in the 50's or 60's. The one in the traditional male Hsidic Jewish outfit is certainly interesting. The porcelain one also looks like a travel doll, maybe Russian? I think this forum can help you ID them further:

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/forum/Dolls/18

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 03:29:41 pm »
Some marks are on the back of the head at the hairline and some are on the bottom of the foot !!  Just depends on who made it. Those two are all I know of.  That "not shiney"glass is called bisque.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:31:29 pm by mart »

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 03:36:16 pm »
Thanks guys!!!  ;D

I will get some better pictures of the one in the red dress for you in a little bit.

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 04:12:26 pm »
I could not get the dress off of her. it seems like the hood was glued to the head or something. But I did pull the dress up so you could see how the body looked.

I also got a picture of the Jewish boy close up of the face just 'cause you thought he was interesting.  ;D

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 04:30:05 pm »
Unfortunately, I think that loop in her back tells me she's intended to be a Christmas ornament. The face also looks like she's a reproduction, intended to look like a Victorian doll. My guess would be made sometime from 1980-2000-ish.

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 04:34:27 pm »
Ahhh okay, that makes sense...well darn haha.

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 06:34:28 pm »
What is it that doll collectors look for in a doll?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 05:08:21 am »
Good thing is,, if its a Christmas ornament,, they are very collectable.  I agree on the time frame Tales gave. Fabric for body looks relatively new.  Collectors look for different things in dolls. Age, maker, style, some want dolls they had as children,,you would just have to ask each collector !!  Its a very diverse group.

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 11:22:52 am »
Maybe I will ebay them starting at about $5 and let the collectors decide what they are worth  ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 12:54:04 pm »
On the one with the loop be sure to say its a Christmas ornament. Some of those people buy really well. Only thing that might hurt your sale is that its a long time till next Christmas !!

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 01:03:30 pm »
That is a good point about being a long time 'til Christmas, but only that one has the loop, and I will be sure to mention that. I try to be as accurate as possible when I list. A long time ago I mis-identified an item, and I felt really bad, and refunded their money with out having to return it.

They all stand about 6"-7" tall, are they still considered dolls, or something else?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 06:18:25 pm »
I don`t see how you could call them anything else !!!  They are dolls to me !!