Author Topic: Really nice upholstered chair / Any ideas???  (Read 1743 times)

jabiloxi

• View Profile
Really nice upholstered chair / Any ideas???
« on: March 10, 2011, 07:16:14 pm »
I have this Upholstered chair I just acquired and am curious if this is worth anything or if anybody has any information regarding it???

I would love to hear some ideas :)

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Really nice upholstered chair / Any ideas???
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:37:10 pm »
Cool chair! I like the fabric.  :) Here's a link to a discussion other people had about that company.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g39722-i2971-k560553-Murphy_Chair_Co-Owensboro_Kentucky.html

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 10:11:02 am »
Here's another link detailing the company: http://publications.kaleden.com/articles/2524.html Starts about the middle of the page.

The Co. started in 1917 and out of biz by 1953 (from memory of the article so give or take a year).  Located in KY. Extremely prolific having produces 10 million chairs by 1937.

With a company this large, I'm betting there are some catalogs out there.  You may want to check Google books. 

The problem with chairs is there are soooooo many of them from this time frame.  The rest of this is my opinion so take it for what it's worth...

I think the problem with selling chairs is that most of the time, they look pretty beat up. Not many want a beat up chair sitting in their living room unless it's unique, historical or has some family provenance.  You could clean it up and gently restore it if you're planning to sell but I don't think you'll be paid well for your time or effort.  In my area I watch chairs from time to time and the only ones that seem to disappear off Craigs list are the ones priced under $50.

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 01:34:57 pm »
Looks 30 ish,, they do not sell well here either !! $30. to $50. in my area !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 04:55:09 pm »
I want to add...  I do like the chair.  Cleaned up it would go well/blend into almost any room.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey