Author Topic: Need Help Identifying This Unusual Item  (Read 9160 times)

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Need Help Identifying This Unusual Item
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 12:27:11 pm »
Here's an image of a 1907 celluloid golf scorecard & silver holder ....
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

waywardangler

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 12:50:57 pm »
Yes, I think that sold for 80 pounds at auction. I cannot find one attached to a chatelaine. I believe Marc-Barr's dates to the 1890s because that is when celluloid's popularity started. I also looked at what few Victorian images of women golfers I could locate and none had chatelaines that I could see. They were dressed to the hilt in the style of the era. I do not imagine it was comfortable golfing. Most chatelaines of the were clipped to the belt but women's golfing apparel included short jackets that had pockets so this could have easily been pocketed and out of the way of a golf swing.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 01:00:12 pm »
I suspect a ladies golf swing would not have been then what it is today. The corset alone would somewhat restrict the followthrough of the swing. My guess (and this is just a guess) that it would have been more "lady-like" putting, but I could be totally wrong. 19th century women did all kinds of things in corsets and fully dressed like tennis, badminton and fencing, but I strongly suspect that it was not with the kind of athletic mobility that you would see from someone like Serena Williams.

It wasn't regarded as lady-like to run even as late as the 1920's. My grandmother told me once that she loved to run and would do it for the love of it and when people would stop her to ask why she was running (yes they really did!) she would tell them she was going to miss the street car! She was born in 1906. I'll see if I can find something more on this.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 01:05:44 pm »

Ooh look at this one! It features a strikingly familiar "club medal!" I think I just ID'd that part of your chatelaine! Now this lady has a pretty big golf swing, so it looks like they were not just putting:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:07:42 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 01:20:00 pm »
See the note at the bottom of this one- "Even while skating one wears the jingling chatelaine"

waywardangler

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 01:26:39 pm »
Tales,the medal in the illustration would have been engraved on the back side with the winners name. The one pictured has the initials of the golf club on the face. Marc-Barr's similar one is a mirror engraved with the owners initials. Interesting illustration of a chatelaine and skating. There is a silver medal used since 1868 that pictures women golfers on the face. It is in my golf collectible book. Out of all the women in the Victorian pic, I could not see one that had a chatelaine. I saw this earlier and blew it up as best I could. Nothing definitive.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2011, 01:37:32 pm »
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification I missed that!

waywardangler

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2011, 01:39:34 pm »
Marc-Barr, his site could prove to be helpful http://www.womengolfersmuseum.com/index.htm

From the site...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:54:08 pm by waywardangler »

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 01:59:43 pm »
W O W !!!!! Thanks! I am overwhelmed with information now (LOL) Thanks again!!!