Author Topic: Keep Tsunami Victims in Your Thoughts/Prayers/Good Deeds  (Read 2603 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Keep Tsunami Victims in Your Thoughts/Prayers/Good Deeds
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:57:12 pm »
My better half was in Waikiki when the tsunami hit there and it didn't cause much damage at all  - staying at the Hilton directly across from the beach.  Got in at 1am and the sirens starting going off immediately so they were all taken to the upper floors. Maui got hit harder.

Have friends/acquaintances/distant relatives that haven't been heard from in Japan...

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

Re: Keep Tsunami Victims in Your Thoughts/Prayers/Good Deeds
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 05:37:13 pm »
Yes, I have watched the damage on TV and I cannot fathom the destructiveness. They are still getting aftershocks of significant proportions. I watched one fellow this morning that was riding his bicycle around and showing a picture of his missing wife. That is just so sad.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 05:38:30 pm »
KC, my thoughts and prayers are with your friends and loved ones.

I can't imagine the torment of not hearing and the devastation is too horrible to grasp. My heart goes out to the people of Japan.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 06:36:29 pm »
I do hope the best for all those you know and love KC and will keep them in my prayers as well as the people of Japan as a whole. Yes, this has been a disaster of such huge proportions that it just defies reason.

We had some damage to the harbor in Santa Cruz when the tsunami came in, but it is nothing by comparison. Damage to about 100 boats. Video is here.
http://www.ksbw.com/video/27171646/detail.html
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 08:00:31 pm »
My thoughts and prayers are with them... and also my admiration. 

I wonder what the news clips would look like if this happened in America. Japan seems calm, diligent, and obedient to the requests of authorities so as not to endanger others.  Even the few talking heads (news people) who have used the word "panic" can not back it up with video - or any that I've seen.  I truly admire Japanese culture. 

This is such a tragedy.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 11:42:25 am »
I agree, the calm dignity of the Japanese people has been amazing. They were saying on the news that this is a cultural tradition- calm in times of disaster. It certainly has been put to the test.

This morning I have been very moved by the reports of the fifty nuclear plant workers who volunteered for the mission to try to keep the nuclear plant contained. True heros those guys. This has been like something out of a horror movie.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 11:50:36 am »
Article on what the fifty workers may be enduring: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42101198/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 12:17:29 pm »
I agree about the calmness of the Japanese people in this disaster of such great proportion.  If this happened in the US...there would be those that would grieve with calm/dignitiy.....but most people would be going bezerk, demanding aid, demanding it now....and blaming it on some politician!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 05:43:49 pm »
God Bless all!!

Pringleplace

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 07:29:26 am »
Devastating! I cannot imagine having to go through something like that! Where we live we are so sheltered from any disaster except fire at our holiday house near the coast!

We are praying for all the people affected!

I just hope this nuclear issue is resolved and it does not happen!