Author Topic: More Silver!  (Read 3060 times)

Ellenshar

• View Profile
More Silver!
« on: March 26, 2011, 09:22:34 pm »
I bought this silver piece at an auction a couple of weeks ago.  Shone it up - but has started to tarnish again.  When cleaning it I ended up snapping off the base of it, so am thinking of throwing it away.  I can't seem to find anything on the internet similar to it, so don't know if it is junk or old silver.  It has a glass dish insert but I didn't include it in the photo.  It is stamped with "CL", "EP on Copper" and "Antimony Lead Mounts" - but no numbers or anything. It is about 6" high and 7" inches acros.  Does anyone know if this is silverplate (seems to be from the tarnish), and what the "CL" stands for.  Would you just throw it away?  Thanks.

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: More Silver!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 12:48:59 am »
The EP will stand for Electro=Plate on Copper, so it is plated. Not Sure about the CL, probably the Manufacturer. I imagine Lead Antimony is the process used, but maybe someone else knows a little more?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:20:59 am by mariok54 »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:00:00 am »
I wouldn't throw this away...  Unless you are my neighbor and can walk it over here!!!  LOL

I'll look for more info on this later but it's quite interesting to me. This is not your piece but the description of the mark is similar.  I can't see his in his pics.  I wouldn't get too excited about the price since that remains to be seen.  http://cgi.ebay.com/LEBKUECHER-CO-HOLLOWARE-EXTREAMLY-RARE-NEW-JERSEY-/150581037830

Sorry I don't have more time this AM to research more but will try later...

Here is a pic of a LEBKUECHER Hallmark....  Doesn't match your piece but maybe a later generation? or they could have changed it for their EP items?  Hopefully someone here knows more....

http://www.silvercollecting.com/silvermarksL.html   Lebkuecher & Co. were New Jersey Silversmiths. They are listed in the 1915 edition of theTrademarks of the Jewelry and Kindred Trade as being at 28 Prospect St. in Newark, NJ. The 1934 edition lists the company name as the Eleder-Hickok Co.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:04:21 am »
Missed your last question ... Agree with Oceans... Don't throw it away!

Ellenshar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 05:23:14 pm »
Wow - I didn't think it was worth saving and threw it in the garbage this morning.  I just ran to the bin and got it out (of course, I emptied the vacuum cleaner on top of it).  But, I have it back - will research a little harder on it now.  Thanks.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:19:50 pm »
Saved by the skin of its little silver teeth!  ;)
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Ellenshar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 08:07:18 am »
Found this on Liveauctioneers - cut out silver just like mine.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6449495
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:08:54 pm by Ellenshar »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 09:15:37 am »
Good work!!  I wonder if yours had a little dish that hung underneath to hold sterno making it a chafing dish?

Now to find out who CL was  ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:18:50 am by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 10:46:52 am »
Candy dish!  Nice piece.  Won't cost much to re-sodder!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!