Author Topic: Indian Quill Boxes  (Read 38736 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Indian Quill Boxes
« on: April 12, 2011, 05:09:24 pm »
      I just picked these up at a Auction this weekend, it was in the silent auction part.  It seem no one bidded except me on these, started at $5.00.  Of course I think I got a score but maybe I'm missing something.  But that is not really my question here.  What was these boxes used for?  Did the Native Indians make these for a reason or did they just become fad in the early century as Tourist Art?   I think these are Mid Century would be my Guess, thus would probably be Indian Tourist Trade item, one is marked making me think.  I was just writing my post for Ebay and kinda wanted to know what they were orignally made for? 

waywardangler

Re: Indian Quill Boxes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 05:21:29 pm »
Wow! 3 quill boxes for $5? That was a deal, ironlord. I see there are some quills missing in parts of the designs but still, most of the designs are there. New ones in my area and made by Ho-Chunk (previously known as Winnebago), are $50 and up depending on the design. I am not sure what they were used for but most new ones are for display only as an example of art and handwork.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:41:20 pm by waywardangler »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 06:28:44 pm »
Since these were for tourist trade, I don`t think they had a pupose as such !!  Rather just storage baskets for anything that fit in them !!  Nice buy !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 06:34:54 pm »
Original purpose (at least where I'm from) was actually storage.........and if you can find old ones you hit the jackpot ;)

sapphire

• View Profile

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 06:39:59 pm »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:57:59 pm »
    thanks for the input and thanks for the link.  I should of worded myself a bit at first,  Was there a spiritual purpose for these boxes originally.  From what I'm and finding is that the Quill Art was used on many item for decorations, and thus far I'm starting to think these boxes became popular after the traditional times of the indians, and made mostly for the Tourist.  Again thanks for the replies 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 09:27:37 pm »
   O.K. These must be more Special then I thought.  I just posted them today with a start bid of $25.00 and a buy it now at $60.00.  Well within 4 hrs. they sold someone just paid me $60.00 right away.  Those could of been my retirement  :'( .    Actually I am thrill at this about a $50.00 profit  ;) .  I only spent $60.00  total for all my items I got at that Auction and have some beautiful Fostoria Coin Glass one of which had a bid within 2 hr.  Look like a good week comin this week.  Just thought I would give you the update.

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 09:34:55 pm »
I think you did real good on those quill boxes, ironlord.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 09:36:33 am »
Hi Guy.....great items!  Sorry I didn't get on sooner....I would have suggested $95+ for all three as a buy now!!!!

Nice tidy profit!

So great to have you back!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 10:48:17 am »
Many people go nuts about things like that !!  Congrats !!  Hope your luck continues !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 12:34:35 pm »
Thanks for all the Congrats, and yes it is continuing Looks like my Fostoria Coin Glass is doing just as good this week, and then three Buy it now, looks like it will be a great week and month.