Author Topic: Antique? Photo Album  (Read 1402 times)

khunn

• View Profile
Antique? Photo Album
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:06:41 am »
Was thinking of purchasing this album( it is also full of old pictures ), but I am not really sure what it is worth. checked ebay and found some older celluloid? ones that look somewhat similar. hoping someone here might be more familiar. thnx for looking.

waywardangler

Re: Antique? Photo Album
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:17:09 am »
Very nice looking celluloid cover. I do not know the values on these but only consider purchase if you want to use it for display only and not to hold photos. The pages in these old books are highly acidic and will ruin photos over time. Any pictures in these old albums should be removed and stored in acid free sleeves or sheet protectors.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:16:38 am »
I agree with wayward! Not good to use for photo storage. Unless maybe you put copies in it and don't care if they get ruined. I love it, around here it would be $75-$100. I don't know what they go for on ebay but in an antique shop it would be that much in good condition.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 05:19:14 am »
Absolutely agree with the others !!  Use the album alone as a coffee table piece but do not store pictures in it !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 05:50:47 am »
I looked on ebay and prices are all over the place for celluloid albums. Some people are asking for a lot of money but most of the auctions are not over $70 bids. The one you are interested in has a very nice cover. I'd say don't pay over $125-ish. The photos inside add very little value if they are just of people. Maybe $.50-$1 each. That album is unique, buy it if you like it! You only live once, eh? Let us know if you get it!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 02:46:52 pm »
Only caution...they have plastic repros out there that are not the original celluloid!!!!  Selling a newer item for more money!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!