Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 2153 times)

lisaemck

• View Profile
What is it?
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:48:24 pm »
Hi,
I've had this in my family 30+ years, I have no idea what it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 06:22:08 pm »
It looks like a gong, is there a "hammer" to hit it with? The style of the coloumn is Egyptian. It's based on the lotus columns that are in ancient temples all over Egypt.

I do not think your item is ancient, and my guess is that it is vintage rather than antique. The horns represent Hathor, the goddess of love and feminine beauty. She is often depicted with cow ears but quite often with a headress with horns with a solar disk (sun), which seems to be what the gong-like object is. I'm guessing this is a tourist item.

Here are some typical images of Hathor with the horns and solar disk.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 07:30:30 pm »
Yep !!  Think Tales is right !!

lisaemck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 08:31:49 pm »
Any idea how much its worth?  Where would I find someone that might be interested in it?
thanks for your help and time.
Lisa

It looks like a gong, is there a "hammer" to hit it with? The style of the coloumn is Egyptian. It's based on the lotus columns that are in ancient temples all over Egypt.

I do not think your item is ancient, and my guess is that it is vintage rather than antique. The horns represent Hathor, the goddess of love and feminine beauty. She is often depicted with cow ears but quite often with a headress with horns with a solar disk (sun), which seems to be what the gong-like object is. I'm guessing this is a tourist item.

Here are some typical images of Hathor with the horns and solar disk.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 08:36:24 pm »
Absolutely no idea on value, but I would expect that it might be tough to sell since it would not match most folks decor. I would just put it into an auction and see what happens!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 08:53:42 pm »
Seems to be different variations listed anywhere from Scotland, England and even Burma.........and the prices cover as wide a range as the origins.  I think tales is right on with the style of this one and I'm right with her on the question of value. That I think would greatly depend on finding the right buyer.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 09:00:41 pm »
The first one here sold for $100

The second (a Siamese palace gong) went for $6,667

Others did not receive any bids.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 07:47:32 am »
You never know what some decorators/designers find appealing !! I would get a reasonable price in mind and give them a call !! Or an antique shop near you !! If you are in a metropolitan area your chances of finding a buyer are better !!

lisaemck

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 08:07:04 am »
 Thanks All for the education.  My parents had it for years, and I've had it over 30...I think my uncle gave it to my dad.  He use to be a captian on some ship.  Guessing he got it from another country.  I love the decor but economy is killing me, so I wanted to see if it might pay a few bills ;)  I don't have the hammer part.  
thanks again for all your time,
Lisa
PS...Love the photos!

I have no idea what to do if I want to sell this which I do...any additional help would be great.
THANKS
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:04:21 pm by lisaemck »