Author Topic: Singer Sewing Machine  (Read 1701 times)

alan

Singer Sewing Machine
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:53:04 pm »
For some reason I have seen people asking a lot of money for the 1919 Singer machine.  I don't know if they made some sort of special model in 1919 and maybe mine falls within that or not, but Im hoping to get some insight from you guys.  Mine has a case that is in tact with a key that works.  It has the light attachment and all the accessories including the button attachment kit.  If anyone knows a lot about these, please let me know.  I have sold them before but never had a 1919 machine and like I said, it seems as if there were some models in 1919 that demand a lot of money. 

alan

Re: Singer Sewing Machine
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:54:59 pm »
Another pic of the accessory kit

alan

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:56:30 pm »
One more for now

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:54:33 am »
Here's a the best site to date your machine
http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_1letter.html

This may help you as well...http://www.sewalot.com/dating_singer_sewing_machine_by_serial_number.htm

and this  http://www.sewingshop.com/dateyourmachine.aspx

They made different models.  It all has to do with supply and demand!!!!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 11:39:54 am »
I think because your is electrified, it is going to turn out to be 1920's unless you've got an older machine that was modified. I own a New Home Climax D which just happens to be from 1919 and it's a treadle. The treadle machines are starting to gain in popularity and I'm seeing the asking prices going up. I bought mine for $60 about three years ago and now I'm seeing ones that are fully functional like mine selling for $200 - $400, so people are rediscovering these old machines, thanks in part to the modern ones being poorly made with plastic gears.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:22:27 pm »
The Singer Lightweight is the model that is in demand as far as I know. People may ask what they want but the buyer(s) actually set the price.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:31:43 pm »
Yes good point. I see the prices going up, but it is hard to tell if they sold or expired on Craigslist. On Ebay they sell the treadle machines removed from the cabinets and you have to reinstall them into your own cabinet.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 01:04:08 pm »
Interesting about the treadle's gaining in popularity...  Just a theory but there has been an increased interest in the past few years about preparing for "end of days" for lack of a better term.  Recent events in Japan has really accelerated interest.  Hubby has a few friends who are really planning - and I mean really.....

Seems like one of these sewing machines would be good. I know washboards are popular.  Altho treadle machines aren't really portable!  ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

alan

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 03:47:01 pm »
The serial number shows it is from 1919.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in