Author Topic: Antique Marble Floor Lamp  (Read 1998 times)

Ellenshar

• View Profile
Antique Marble Floor Lamp
« on: February 06, 2011, 07:09:35 am »
I just saw this ad for an antique floor lamp on a local area "for sale" website and am starting to fall in love with it.  I think I'm getting the antique bug because I normally only like shiny things. The ad says the base is marble and brass, and the 2 doves are marble.  It has the original lamp shade, is a tri-light, and in excellent working condition.  Only problem is owner lives about 3 hours away from me so I would have to ask them if they would deliver - which might be an issue.  I have been researching the internet trying to find something similar, but no luck so far.  I would like to get your take on the lamp - do you think it is worth the $125 they are asking for it?  Is there anything I should be concerned about before I put in an offer? Thanks.

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Antique Marble Floor Lamp
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:52:27 am »
If it's an original then it's worth $125.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 11:36:24 am »
I have had several floor lamps in different styles. In fact I have one in my bedroom now. You really should check on the type of bulb it takes. Some take lights that are difficult to find. One I have now is a large base single bulb. looks much like a heat lamp, but the ones they sell today will not fit. I have to order one when it quits !!  I would just ask if it takes a standard base light bulb !!

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 12:27:54 pm »
I think you could switch that out mart and put in a standard base socket without too much difficulty.  Just save the original one for if you ever sell it.  Ellenshar, I would definitely check the cord  for checking/cracking/fraying and rewire it if necessary before using.  I have antique lamps and have rewired most of them...I do not trust old lamp cord.  The lamp looks neat.

Ellenshar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 04:18:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice!  I couldn't resist and just finished emailing them about the cord and light bulbs you suggested.  I also asked if there was any chance they would deliver to my "big city" from their "small town" up north.  I guess I can only wait and cross my fingers.

Ellenshar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 07:56:37 pm »
After months of waiting, I finally received the Floor Lamp today!  It is beautiful, except for the shade which is stained and has seen better days.  I will probably replace that (and rewire to be safe).

Couple of questions:
1.  The woman who sold it to me thought the stone was marble.  Now that I have it, I am wondering if it is onyx? How do you know the difference?
2.  The birds look more like storks - any significance to that?
3.  The lamp is extremely heavy - not like today's lamps.  Would the base be brass, or some other material?
4.  It could use a good cleaning - if brass can I just use brass cleaner on it?
5.  Can find no maker's mark on it, except for the inside of the top light fixture that says "Electrolier".  Would that be the maker of the electrical part of the fixture, or the maker of the lamp?

After months of research on the internet, I have found a couple of lamps with bases sort-of like mine, but absolutely nothing with birds or anything near the top of the lamp like mine.  Strange!

Thanks.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 05:51:20 am »
Electrolier is the type of socket it has. Yours is probably the larger one that takes a large base bulb !!
Looks like a lower grade marble to me.  Can`t tell what material the birds are done in !!  The birds could be anything, or could be a figment of the carvers imagination !!  Not all are necessarily a particular type of bird !!  The material could be brass or could be a combination !!  I would not use brass cleaner on it. That would remove all the patina and lower the value by at least 50%.  With things like this sometimes you have to use similar items as a guide as most were not marked !!