Author Topic: Karpen Settee  (Read 1567 times)

kjbray1

• View Profile
Karpen Settee
« on: May 03, 2011, 01:01:20 am »
Hello,

I recently bought this Karpen settee and was wondering if anyone would have an idea of its value?

I'm am new to antiques, but this is the information I have on this piece so far.

It has a metal tag on the back reading "Karpen Guaranteed Upholstered Furniture Chicago."  It was made sometime between 1900-1906.  It is completely original, and is still very sturdy.  The fabric is in great condition (no rips and not very worn) but it is somewhat dirty.  I am not sure if it is better to reupholster or just have it cleaned.

I have done some research on the Karpen family, but any information passed along would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks for your help!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Karpen Settee
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 04:24:55 am »
On page 2 here there is another post on Karpen furniture !! The Queen Anne style is classic and if it were me,, I would clean the upholstery and leave it as is !!  I have not researched this maker but from what I have seen it looks like they made copies of the styles in vogue at the time. The other poster had a parlor set in the Empire style !!  I would say value is minimal probably under $500. for a setee alone in good condition and the style of yours !!  Condition puts your setee in the top range of that !!  Its a nice piece !!
Just looked and there is much information on Karpen Furniture online as well as past posts here !! Karpen made furniture in many styles from 1880 to 1951 when they merged with another company.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:47:14 am by mart »