Author Topic: Help AMAZING FIND!!! Ivory sculpure, where did it come from  (Read 1927 times)

stelarjohnny

• View Profile
 Help today i found an amazing find that i have never seen before this ivory statue and trying to find out as much as i can so far i beleive from my own research that its elephant ivory or possible mammoth. The statue is 19" tall and base is 4" wide. I cant find anything like it of nature and size.  My big question is determing who made it,  who this lady represents time period or region. Looks europeen too me maybe greek but just a guess for now. The owner wants to consign it to me for 2k i believe i can get that easy and well above the more information i have on it. Thank you very much

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Help AMAZING FIND!!! Ivory sculpure, where did it come from
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 03:43:47 am »
Hi.. A pretty piece. A few more pictures would be useful, of rear, underside etc. As well as a real close-up of the material. If the seller wants $2000 for it what are they saying its provenance is?

The figure is very Western in appearance and the style looks early 20th century, but it could easily be a bit older. Most mammoth sculptures that I've seen have been Japanese or Chinese, and there are many that purport to be Mammoth but the claims are just as woolly!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 06:53:16 am »
Very Deco and yes, it looks early 1900`s Western in style !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:39:20 pm »
Agree with the others.....I am skeptical!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 12:45:33 pm »
Are you sure this is ivory? I see some damage and this would decrease the value. I do not see any grain or cracks or anything to tell if this is ivory. I am skeptical as well.