Author Topic: Help save 1900 painting on glass  (Read 3735 times)

Thor

Help save 1900 painting on glass
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:33:32 pm »
Hello All,

I hope you can help with an emergency fix (and I hope this is the right forum to post this question.)  My in-laws just moved and the movers broke an important (historically and emotionally) piece of art.  I'm trying to see what needs to be done to preserve it and save it.

The painting is dated from around 1900 and is done on glass- as in you look through the glass at the picture.  It may have been done in the US or in Germany and then moved here.  It has been in this frame with a solid wood backing for as long as we know (at least 60 years.)  I can also see old newspaper behind where some of the edge paint has worn over the years- I'm sure that's not archival.  ;) 

The movers cracked the glass and at least one piece is raised up from level with the others.  With close inspection it appears the actual paint isn't torn, it seems to have pulled away from the glass a bit (in the pictures it is the whitened/shimmery places.)  I have attached 3 pictures- one of the whole piece and two closer of the central damage.  It does have another intact piece of glass over it but raised about a quarter of an inch.

What suggestions do you folks have about dealing with this damage? 
Any ideas or questions? 
Anybody you recommend I contact? 

My father-in-law is rather upset and wants to get something done "now" but I asked him to check with experts before doing anything.  He's worried it will get worse.

Thanks for any help!

waywardangler

Re: Help save 1900 painting on glass
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:15:43 pm »
I am not really following what you are describing. It appears to me that the glass covering the painting is broke. The surface of the painting (if this is an original) looks like it is crazed and may have been varnished at one time and now age/temperature is causing the crazing. The wood backing and newspaper are very detrimental to the image.

No. 1 - all the broken glass must be removed...carefully . After that, you can assess the damage to the image.

No. 2 - take it to a conservator and see how much cleaning/restoration would be.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:20:47 am »
I'm a little confused also, Thor. I first thought that you were saying that it was a reverse painting on glass, but looking at the photos it seems that the broken glass hasn't been painted  ???

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:29:23 am »
Is it possible that the paint has adhered to the glass? I too am confused, it looks like you just need to replace the glass with a good piece of UV Plexiglass and file a claim with the moving company. If there is some kind of issue with the painting being in danger, seek the help of a professional restorer and the moving company should cover the cost. 
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 07:02:02 am »
If its the glass covering the painted piece that is broken, it no problem for any good gallery to replace it. There are probably spacers between the two pieces so when you look through it it gives a sort of 3D effect !! Could be why it looks like the paint is loose !!  Just make sure that the gallery has experience in these !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 12:10:42 pm »
I was confused as well...but I have seen paintings that were in a lot of moisture over time adhere to the glass!  If that is the case....I don't know if there is much you can do.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 01:39:38 pm »
Where the glass is raised on the front you could lift slightly and see if whats underneath is intact !!  If it is painted on glass with another piece of glass covering it, you should be able to tell if the original piece is ok !!  Hope the movers were insured !! But to claim damage you need to know what the piece is worth or a fair market value !!  Does it have a signature ??

Thor

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 03:21:26 pm »
To clarify:
I was told the painting is on the backside of the glass, not covered by the glass.  On close personal inspection that seems to be the case; however, I can see how someone only looking at the pictures I provided for help would be confused.  When the piece of painted glass broke (yes, the one the painting is on) the paint peeled away from that glass shard without tearing- that would be why the piece that is sticking up has no paint on it.

I believe the paint is on the glass as it has worn away in a few places around the edges allowing the less than archival newspaper backing to show through.  That is worn/flaked away, not torn/ripped away.

Thank you for the suggestions it get taken to a professional; I had already told my father-in-law to do so.  I had been hoping to get some information here about care for paintings done in reverse on glass.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 03:43:51 pm »
I've got an answer for you. I found a person online who repairs these kinds of paintings. See the example on this page of a woman coming out of the sea in a chariot with two hippocampus (mythical sea horses). Let us know if she is able to help. Looks like she did a good job on that example, which had been shattered. hover your mouse pointer over the image to see it when it was shattered.

http://www.reverseglasspainting.com/

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 06:44:34 pm »
I now understand what you are saying.  Have seen many examples of reverse glass painting over the years.

I would recommend it be taken to a professional....and billed to the movers!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 07:52:22 pm »
Wow, Tales! I would say she does an excellent job! I would not have thought 3 of those pieces were salvageable. Why don't you add that site to the Special Threads forum? It might be good to refer to in the future.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 12:11:50 am »
Yes, well found Tales, that looks like a remarkable repair considering the material she's dealing with!
I hope the removal company were well insured, Thor.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 11:11:27 am »
Done!  :)

Thor

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 07:06:08 pm »
Thanks folks.  I forwarded the suggestions on to my in-laws; now it is up to them.  I also will send them the link from tales - thanks for that one.

Unfortunately, my father-in-law is of the pessimistic mindset on the best of days, so this will be a trial.  I hope they got something in writing from the movers that they are the ones to break the piece.  Or at least a picture with the movers next to the broken piece.

When I hear the rest of the story, I'll let you all know.

Thanks again, everyone for the suggestions and help. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 10:51:57 am »
Thor, I couldn't see a signature on the painting....is there one?  Some of these are worth $$$.  If you look up vintage reverse paintings on glass you will see them all over the place....but having the artists' signature can increase the value.  Even "crude examples" can fetch up to $50..... So, hope your father-in-law doesn't let it slip by!

Best of luck!