Author Topic: Early 20th/Late 19th Century Rocking Chair  (Read 1789 times)

e1m1o1g

• View Profile
Early 20th/Late 19th Century Rocking Chair
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:07:32 pm »
Can anyone tell me anything about this rocking chair? I'm interested in when it was made and where it came from. I've been researching online, and can't find any exactly like it, though it does resemble some Victorian chairs I looked at. Thanks! Sorry the pic is sideways -- can't get it to upload otherwise!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 06:15:51 pm by e1m1o1g »

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Early 20th/Late 19th Century Rocking Chair
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 06:44:33 pm »
While I can't tell you anything specific to your chair, I can say that its style is called a Lincoln Rocker. So named as Pres Lincoln was assassinated in a rocker of this style.  If you google the style, you may find something similar but these were quite popular the latter half of the 19th century and probably early 20th century as you said.  The seat appears to be caned.

Hopefully that helps a bit...

<Edited to correct mistake... Had my centuries mixed up   ::) >
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:36:37 am by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 06:47:05 pm »
The arms are a later adaptation of a "Grecian" rocking chair, commonly called a "Lincoln Rocker" because they were made popular by President Lincoln. Here's one very similar to yours:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collectibles-General-Antiques-682/2009/3/Antique-Lincoln-Rocker-cane.htm

I think their estimate is a bit high, more like what you might see it for in a retail shop, rather than what you would get for it at auction or trying to sell it online.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 06:48:08 pm »
Oceans you beat me to it by about three seconds!  ;D
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 07:53:47 am »
Sorry T  ;D  LOL

Here is the actual chair in which he was assassinated with a brief history. http://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln11.html  Everything "Lincoln" became quite popular after that. 

The value is going to vary depending on condition, particularly the condition of the caning which appears quite good on your chair. They are widely available as these things go which brings the value down. I would keep an eye out on your local Craig's List if you plan on selling.  It's a nice looking chair. In my area I would expect about $150 (+/-) but that's just a guesstimate. 

Agree with Tales that $400+ is too much - but you can always try!  ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 11:38:54 pm »
Agree with the others information.

If it is a new knock off....but used....you might get $80.  If it is older....$ 100 to $ 150 tops.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!