Author Topic: Old or just oldish ?  (Read 3476 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Old or just oldish ?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 10:31:08 pm »
We had some for shortbread as well...but were a little larger!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 04:37:58 am »
Sorry Cogar ... Wrong!   ;D

Shortbread presses or moulds are used for getting that pattern on shortbread rounds. They can be quite small, say 3" in diameter, or even bigger.

I was going to photograph ours, but apparently we don't have them any more as the two we had I re-cycled  into wind-chime clappers

:o I thought you were talking about old commercial or hand-carved wooden ones, .... not metal or plastic ones.

When most everyone milked their own cows and churned their own butter ..... and some even made their own butter molds and presses, ..... or a local family dairy sold milk, butter n' cheese, .... was the heyday of "butter mold/print" usage. 

Now somewhere I think I still have a commercially sold cast aluminum butter mold that was made by a T R Hall in 1950 and which is pictured on this website, to wit:
http://dairyantiques.com/Butter_Molds.html

And that above link I found will tell you more than you probably wanted know about molds and prints. There are some really neat ones pictured therein and worth the time glancing over.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 06:48:18 am »
Wonderful article Cogar!! Even though some of those presses look like medieval torture devices  ;)

Might want to include this in the Special Threads section too.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 01:13:05 pm »
Brilliant bedtime reading, Cogar!