Author Topic: Mappin and Webb Teapot  (Read 7614 times)

ladydars

• View Profile
Mappin and Webb Teapot
« on: May 26, 2011, 06:05:19 am »
I have a Mappin and Webb teapot that my Grandmother has recently given to me, about which I know nothing! It looks silver, but has no hallmark - all it has is "Mappin and Webb Rd 509500" on the base... Any help?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Mappin and Webb Teapot
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:49:25 am »
     They have a link at Replacement, for your teapot, no date or value, will have to look a bit later after work today.

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/MWE509500.htm

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:24:57 am »
Hi,
Are you sure that it is a teapot, only piece that comes up with that number looks more like a coffee pot, but the number might just apply to that pattern, tea pot, coffee pot, cream jug etc. Any chance of a photo?

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 12:14:42 pm »
 ???  Mario, if you click on ironlord's link, Replacements shows a whole set including a teapot. It looks like the number is a pattern number for the pieces.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 01:35:50 pm »
???  Mario, if you click on ironlord's link, Replacements shows a whole set including a teapot. It looks like the number is a pattern number for the pieces.

None so blind as those who will not see!! ???

ladydars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 05:26:28 pm »
Wow thanks for the advice. I went to the link provided and mine is the middle pot - less like a coffe pot (the taller one) and more like the shorter tea pot (I'm guessing use here!). Although mine has no ornate work on the sides - it is plain (suits me more I think). When o figure out how to post a picture I will do so. Many thanks so far!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 07:08:10 pm »
      So I looked in one of my books and found a little about Mappin & Webb.  Mappin came from a family of Cutlers, Join by George Webb, in Sheffield England.  Bought a old Aluminum Plant and begin making a Cheaper line of silverplate for Sheffield, Now part of British Silverware LTD.    Over all I would say you have a very Fine Piece,  and was made during the Height of the Silverplate era.  Wow, sorry just have to check something, sure looks like the Hallmark of a piece I have been looking for some time now.  I'll be Back   ;) 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 07:14:02 pm »
    Bummer that wasn't it.   Anyway your Teapot would for sure be worth more the 90% of them out there.   Most silverplate we find today is Post 40's Onieda, International , Sheffield and Etc.   If in Excellent Condition I think you are looking at a Moderate Rare, Extra Fancy made by the little guy in the height of the Big Silverplate Boys.   I have not went and look on line like Ebay to see what is Comparable but You are Looking at Low $$$.00 in Value, Which would be very good for a item like That in the "Days of the EBay"   ;D