Author Topic: Age of Cast Iron Counter Scale?  (Read 5877 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Age of Cast Iron Counter Scale?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 10:14:37 am »
Yes, the unit itself measures 10-1/2" in length by 4" in width, not counting the pan. Nice compact size for my kitchen.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 11:56:29 am »
NiceTales love it !!!  I think this is it.  

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 12:17:31 pm »
That does look very much like my scale, the only differences are in the numbering on the bar in front, since now I know mine is ounces and it measures by the ounce up to a pound the shape of the pendulum weight and the scrollwork, although that could be a sticker. But the general shape looks like it, it could be mine is the #4 size they made.  Definitely seems like it could be for baking, that's what I got it for.

Here is a better look at that bar and there are some additional photos on the Ebay listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=310311449786&si=tXs%252B9%252BB7EGQm6YvtH6rrHAytOE8%253D&viewitem=

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:19:11 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

waywardangler

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 12:35:54 pm »
I like it especially because it has the brass pan and not a tin pan. Old brass has such a nice patina to it. It looks great on your coffee bin with that mill next to it.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 01:05:28 pm »
Thanks, the mill was an accidental freebie. I was buying it for someone else, the seller said it was functional, but when I got it, it couldn't actually grind coffee beans. It also had the center post replaced with a modern machined piece and someone used a zinc-coated bolt. Not good for food. So the seller just told me to keep it as a decoration. So it's one of the few non-functioning antiques. I'm looking for a coffee grinder for my young cousin, who likes to grind the coffee beans in the morning for his parents. I thought he would have fun with an antique grinder, so I'm taking him one when we go to visit in June. Now I'm being careful to ask if the sellers have actually put beans in and ground them, not just turned the handle.

I like the brass pan on the scale too. I was specifically looking for one with a brass pan because I like that look. This scale was just the right size and had the pan I wanted, plus was still functional. Eventually I'll find a place to get it calibrated and then I can take the three dimes out from under the pan!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 08:57:02 am »
When I read this thread last week I thought I must post a pic of ours ... and it's taken me this long to take the photos!

I bought these Avery scales back in the early 90s and I've no idea how old they were then.....They're certainly not antique, and probably might just qualify as 'Vintage' ... and I feel they may be 1950s - '60s. They are what we would call 'Sweetshop scales' or candy scales to you. There is a pattern number, so I could probably do some research and find out exactly when they were made. They are incredibly accurate ... they have a small spirit level beneath the pan and all four feet are adjustable.

The dresser in the background is also not antique, and again probably from the 50s - 60s. When I ripped out the old fitted kitchen my wife started to panic, but we very easily picked up a couple of lovely storage units and the dresser, and it looks so much better now, and they are moveable!

The dresser was made by Wood Brothers, is solid oak, and all the joints including drawers are dovetailed. Is 7' long and 6' tall. I was mentioning a while back that 'brown furniture' is just out of fashion nowadays, over here, and that works in our favour. Including the hire of a van I think the total outlay (for the dresser) was c. $300. Again, Wood Bros are still going and I suppose that I could contact them and ask them when it was made.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 10:47:29 am »
Oooooh! Love your kitchen hutch! It looks great with all the packaging and what-nots! I like the scale! Very nice!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 10:55:19 am »
Thanks, Tales ... It certainly looks more in keeping with the kitchen than the awful 1970s, chipboard fitted units .. Seems strange to hear it being called a 'hutch'  :D ...  We only seem to use that term for a rabbit's house ...

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 11:08:21 am »
Here we commonly call a cupboard for keeping your best china a "china hutch" and we also call a rabbit cage a "rabbit hutch".  A "kitchen hutch" could be any kind of kitchen cupboard that had doors with glass, wire or open shelves that allow you to see inside. The similarities to animal cages are probably how the term came about. We would not usually call an enclosed cupboard that you can't see inside of a hutch. "Hutch" almost always refers to one that allows you to see what it contains. It's interesting to see how languages evolve differently, not only across the pond, but even regionally here in the US! Thanks for sharing that!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 11:44:15 am »
And thanks for sharing that ...   :)

I've just looked it up in my 1867 Ogilvie Dictionary (UK English not American English) to see if the meaning was similar back then, and it defines a hutch as a corn box, something for keeping rabbits in, the wooden crate for drawing up coal from a mine, as well as that quantity of coal! I just love language  :D

Just Googled Wood Bros Dresser and found one identical to mine ..on Ebay, but they've got a starting price of £450! (c $700!) Good luck to them!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLD-CHARM-WOOD-BROS-LANCASTER-DRESSER-/220774749168?pt=UK_Home_Garden_LivingRoomFurniture_EH
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:01:42 pm by mariok54 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 12:32:06 pm »
Here is a wonderful online etymology dictionary, which gives the origins and early usage of words and phrases.

http://etymonline.com/

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 12:58:07 pm »
I just noticed the other day that the number bar on the front of this scale is brass. Cleaned it up this morning and it is looking good. You can also see that what I thought was "15" at the end of the scale was actually "1lb" but it was so blackened with tarnish that I misread it.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 06:10:31 am »
Wow - That looks good - Not that it looked bad before but it's amazing what highlighting a single detail can do.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey