Author Topic: Need help please on my Chairs  (Read 5737 times)

TEZZA53

• View Profile
Re: Need help please on my Chairs
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 05:20:45 pm »
 Hi oceans64, haha your right it is frustrating, I am at the point now where maybe the bonfire was the better option  ??? Seriously though I love the look of these chairs, I have scoured the net for the last 2 or 3 weeks trying to find something like them but to no avail.

The answer to your question oceans is yes it is attached at the sides. 

I really do appreciate all the help you are all giving me many thanks to you all.

Tezza.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 02:58:52 pm »
If you are in the UK  that explains a lot !! They are probably hall chairs !!  Back in the 70`s and 80`s when antiques were bringing fair money many dealers imported shipments of English antiques to the U.S. !! I had a shop at that time and bought many pieces here !!  I have seen similar chairs although not exactly like yours !!  I would call them Gothic Revival and they would date about 1900 or a bit after . Your wood looks like walnut which was commonly used for chairs because of its strength and durability !!  They should not be difficult to restore however the fabric would be more difficult to guess !!  If I were restoring these chairs,, I would use a fabric with an English hunt scene !! If you want to stay with the period and the feel of the chairs,, Don`t use florals or frilly material !!  Imagine a hunting lodge !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 05:35:13 pm »
To get some inspiration for period appropriate upholstery, try searching for portrait paintings from 1880-1910 (or so). I like portraits since they give you an idea of color tho less of an indication of pattern.  I imagine people sat on their best pieces of furniture so probably newer (at the time) and therefore period appropriate.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 06:45:20 pm »
Even a nice verticle stripe would look good as long as the colors stay with the period !!

TEZZA53

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 03:33:45 pm »
I had someone look at them to refurbish them he said it would cost nearly £600 to do them in period materials, (he defiantly wont be doing them lol),  so i got an idea now of the type of cloth to use, all i am going to do with the frames is take some of the dirty wax of and re wax after in a clear one. I will defiantly enjoy doing these chairs as they only cost me £8, when they are finished i will post pictures on here for you all to see.
    I would like to thank you all again for all your suggestions and ideas it has been a great help.

Best Regards to you all from England.
                                                        Tezza.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 03:35:33 pm »
Definitely do yourself...  They shouldn't be too hard.  There are a couple of examples in the projects section and if you have questions....  Just ask!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

TEZZA53

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 03:39:57 pm »
 ;) Cheers oceans64  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 03:48:17 pm »
Yes !!  Chairs are fairly easy to do !! I DIY project !!   Glad you are just cleaning and rewaxing !!  We look forward to seeing them finished !!

TEZZA53

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 03:54:47 pm »
 ;) Cheers mart  ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 12:11:21 pm »
Okay, here's my 2cents.  It looks to me early 1900's, and I bet they are made in England!  I have a small dinette set that was our first dining set that was similar - imported from England.  Mine was from 1920's.  Yours is more "elegant" in the carving on the legs but "simple" in design on the back like mine.  This is a combination of styles....which was common to do during this time period!  Made nicer looking furniture available to "the masses".

I believe it is a dining chair and not a hall chair.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:14:15 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

TEZZA53

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 02:41:05 pm »
Thanks KC