Author Topic: small tiffany favrille glass vase  (Read 5102 times)

juled87

• View Profile
small tiffany favrille glass vase
« on: October 04, 2011, 07:41:41 am »
HI -- I was hoping someone could help with the value of this vase.  It's quite small - only about 2.5 inches at it's widest and 2 inches tall.  Besides the sticker there is also etched the numbers 5069 and the initials L.G.T.  I'm pretty sure it is not worth alot(?).  But I want to give it to my little niece so any info. on the vase (would the design be considered a "pulled feather"?) and/or its value I can pass along to her would be fabulous.  Thanx!!

mart

• View Profile
Re: small tiffany favrille glass vase
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:02:47 am »
Can`t tell if your vase has the irridescence that Tiffany used in most of his pieces !! Initials are L.C.T  Louis Comfort Tiffany !! Not sure if all are numbered the same but most all of his numbered pieces had a letter either before or after the numbers to indicate the year made !! He used several different signatures !!  Some are just initials , some are fully or partially written out !!  Would just need to research that !! I looked a one vase with the same shape but with the irridescence that was 4 1/2 in. tall although different design priced at $7500. but that was in an earlier market and depends on the rarity of the vase !!  Best thing for you is to have it professionally appraised !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:58:30 pm »
Looks like a letter is there after the number 5069 but can not make it out. Tiffany did make this type of almost opaque peachy glass  with a small clear lip.  I believe you have the real deal but as mart said you should have it professionally appraised if it is the real thing even a small piece can bring a price in the high thousands as mart stated.  :) This one is marked  L.C.T 4341B is c1907 and is similar in style to yours.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 01:24:50 pm »
I also chime in on the appraisal suggestion (strongly). 

Here's another also a 'B' from 1907.  Very similar in coloring. Though a lot larger, even a portion of that sale amount would be encouraging. Auction date Dec. 2001

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=3828807

Price Realized
$8,225
Price includes buyer's premium
Estimate

$5,000 - $7,000

juled87

• View Profile
Re: small tiffany favrille glass vase - (oops! gave wrong info. on etching)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 01:37:27 pm »
 :-[ I didn't read the bottom etching correctly.  It is L.C.T. (not G) also, there is a capital letter B after the 5069.  I'm adding another picture that I hope might give a better idea of the color.  Other than the gold of the design it is an iridescent light and dark green.  Hoping this might help in a date or value.  Also, does anyone know about the sticker?  I haven't seen any that have one.  Julie

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 01:57:40 pm »
I don't know anything about it, but it sure is pretty. Looks like you are going to luck out with this one! Good for you!

juled87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 02:21:19 pm »
I just looked up a bit more info. on signatures, labels, etc. for Tiffany glass.  It's said that a forged signature would be acid etched and an original engraved.  If the signature on the bottom is fairly smooth (any depth is negligible) would this mean that I unfortunately have a forgery?  I know my grandfather gave it to my grandma at least 60+ years ago -- so I don't know if that helps determine if it might be original.  I would love to have it appraised but I live in a small town quite a distance from any city of substance but I really do not want to give it to my niece only to find out it is a fake!?! 

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 03:07:01 pm »
Although labels could be copied, he literally scratched his initials into a piece and numbered it !! All  I looked at today looked like yours and the label looked correct !!  A letter B after the number would indicate an earlier piece !!  I see nothing that says "fake" to me about your vase !! I think Christies auction service has an online appraisal that you can send pics and get a more expert opinion on value !!  Just guessing I would say minimum of $3500. on your vase and quite possibly more !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 03:58:51 pm »
Wow! I have never even seen a tiffany piece in person. Have to get out more...   ;)

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 04:36:28 pm »
Yes Mart is correct  older piece That paper label was used from 1904-1924 and the B after the numbers tells me the exact year it was produced was 1907. Am also with mart that you have a real Tiffany piece and he is also right on with the value of your piece (Nice mart ;) )    And yes Christies Auction house you can send an email with photos to get a free estimate of value this can take up to 4 weeks for a response so be patient.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 07:13:35 pm »
What makes this different than Quezal Art Glass? It looks so similar.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 08:19:04 pm »
Quezal Art Glass and decorating company was founded in 1901 by Martin Bach, Sr. and Thomas Johnson at Brooklyn, new York. Both men had worked at Tiffany. Martin Bach Sr. used the formulas he had learned while working for Tiffany to manufacture his Quezal glass. :)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 10:23:20 pm »
They do look almost  identical. They are all so beautiful. I do have an art glass book, but they had different styles like Egyptian Revival, Brown and Gold Stretch Vase, Blossom Vase. I guess Tiffany couldn't be to happy with Quezal. Is there such a thing as a patent with art work? Or is it the artist interpretation, so it's not patentable?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 04:49:35 am »
Loetz is also many times confused with Tiffany glass !!