Author Topic: Need help with a couple of my grandparents items  (Read 2707 times)

drododdsnends

• View Profile
Need help with a couple of my grandparents items
« on: June 05, 2011, 02:37:42 pm »
Hi i have a few questions about some items my grandfather has given me. I am just beginning to get into antiques and learning about them. I can't wait to gain tons of knowledge, because this really interest me. Here are the items:

This is some type of pitcher that my grandmother says was her GREAT Grandmothers. She said it could be about 200 years old. It doesnt have any markings on the bottom at all.

This is some type of Glass jar/bowl. It was found in an old shack on my grandfathers property when he lived in Cotton (or Cottington) Georgia about 40 years ago or so.

This is a very old clock that my grandmother says is around 200 years old as well. It was my Grandfathers Great Grandmothers that she purhased somewhere in Louisiana

Any info on these items would be appreciated. I would never sell anything that was given to me to keep, I am just curious on what I have here and what is value. Thanks so much in advance for your help guys!! It is very much appreciated!!

Sincerely,
Dallas

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a couple of my grandparents items
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 04:19:02 pm »
Can you open up the clock and find any markings?  IF so a pic please.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

drododdsnends

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 04:40:48 pm »
I opened it up and looked throughout all over it. I cant find anything at all. No Name, markings, stamps, nothing. Could have possibly been something on there before, maybe on the pendelum, or glass covering. The outside is in fantastic condition, the inside is missing a few pieces. Thanks for reply!!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 04:53:19 pm »
A picture of the inner workings would help to be able to determine if the clock has had the mechanism replaced. Also is that a name on the clockface under the 12, or is that just a smudge? It would be neat to have the clock repaired and get it back into working condition again.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

drododdsnends

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 05:05:27 pm »
under the 12, its hard to read but I believe it says made in u.s.a. I will take a couple pics of inside and post them, thanks for interest! It is a really nice clock.

drododdsnends

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 05:18:20 pm »
here we go:

There is a small symbol of some sort by the 6, not sure what it is, some type of circle with an S??

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 06:36:03 pm »
Your pitcher and bowl was a common item in almost every household in years past  !!  Value wise,, not much in that condition,, probably about $40. or less !! But I am sure its worth a million to you !! I have about six in my kitchen now in similar condition that are family pieces.  You green glass bowl is (I think) a candy dish. It was made in the 60`s to 70`s !! Its a repro of earlier pieces. The clock is pressed wood but most of the value in a clock is in the works and the face. I think the value is somewhere in the $100. to $150.,, range if perfect and in good working order !!

drododdsnends

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 06:44:00 pm »
That's so awesome to hear!! THANKS guys so much for helping me out!!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 06:49:45 pm »
I'm no clock expert but the clock definitely isn't 200 years old. I'd say closer to 100 years old. Late 1800's-early 1900's. The "Made in USA", pressed wood, and the style of the clock (gingerbread style) tell me that. It is still beautiful, just not as old. With missing parts, I would say it is worth around $75. It really takes a lot for an old clock to be worth money. It has to be really special, fancy or gold gilt to have significant value. I have one from the 1840's with a few missing pieces and it might be worth $100, if I'm lucky.
For comparable clocks, you can go to ebay and search for "gingerbread clock". Current ones on ebay are in the $30-$50 range.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 06:55:39 pm by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 07:02:21 pm »
I agree hosman. My wife had her parents put into running condition for about $75. The value is as a heirloom. Non-working but complete would be $75 or less. Age is late 1890s to early 1900s. Very common clock style.

drododdsnends

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 08:24:07 pm »
you guys are too awesome, and kind for sharing your knowledge! Thanks so much, my grandmother is very happy about the info! Thanks again!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 03:32:23 am »
That type of clock is often called a "pressed oak" or "pressed back" mantle clock.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 11:18:58 am »
Try this Forum, for clocks it is absolutely brilliant! They should be able to identify that mark at 6 o'clock.

http://mb.nawcc.org/

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 11:40:23 am »
Your Glass is what is called a Vintage Grape, made by Imperial Glass I'm pretty sure, made is the 70's.  It is worth very little because so many was made and Green glass is one of the least collected.