Author Topic: sewing machines  (Read 1377 times)

baywinds2

• View Profile
sewing machines
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:27:32 am »
Hello from North Idaho, USA
I was looking for help in determining the age of a treadle sewing machine I have acquired. I have no info on its history, but can provide some facts. The name is Elwess, SN#051378. There is a booklet that appears to be the operating manual with these numbers: Form 894 booklet.  It is in an oak 6 drawer cabinet, design looks Frank Lloyd Wright era, not sure if it's original to the machine. Both machine and cabinet in very good condition.
From what research I have done, I believe it to be mfg from National Sewing Co. (got that off the needle list from ISMAC) I understand that National was formed with the 2 companies of Eldredge and June in the mid to late 1800's. I am guessing that is where the name Elwess originated. But that might be too logical. Haven't attempted to see if it is in running condition, but the machine head is in very good condition with paint and decals still pretty clean.

I'm running out of websites to dig through, and hoping for some input or advice from this group. I have photos and will try to get them uploaded. New camera and haven't figured that step out yet.

Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:52:00 pm by baywinds2 »

waywardangler

Re: sewing machines
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:45:26 am »
Pics would be great! We have some members that use treadle machines and we have some that own them and some that are going to restore theirs. I am sure someone here will answer your questions and then some.

baywinds2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 01:04:08 pm »
Just a follow up to my original post. I did figure out the new camera  ;D and have uploaded 4 photos. Also forgot to mention that the belt is broken, so can't test drive it, but the wheel turns freely and smoothly , and the needle shank goes up and down easily. I know the belts are replaceable, and will research to find those for sale. The cabinet is also in very good condition. Then another question: I had a devil of a time finding this manufacturer info, is there a direction anyone can point me to in order to find collectability and value?
Thanks again

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 01:33:17 pm »
The forum on ISMACS is VERY good.
http://www.ismacs.net/home.html

The folks there should be able to help you ID it. There should be serial numbers, most likely on the metal plate that covers the bobbin compartment. You'll want to take a look inside the bobbin compartment to see if the shuttle is there. The shuttle is a bullet-shaped casing and the type of bobbins that go in most of the old treadle machines are spindle bobbins rather than the round ones.

Don't worry too much if you are missing the belt, shuttle or bobbins. You can get all of these on Ebay. They are common and inexpensive.

I sew on a treadle and I absolutely love it. I would never go back to a modern machine!

Antiqueaholic in recovery