Author Topic: Victorian Western Electric Annunciator  (Read 5824 times)

jcomas311

• View Profile
Victorian Western Electric Annunciator
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:57:56 pm »
Hello everyone. I have come across a Western Electric Annunciator which i believe to be the first of electrical annunciators to be made. I bought it at an auction of an old western inn in upstate NY. I know what it is, what it was used for, and i know quite a bit about Western Electric, but i can not find any info on this specific item. Nothing to find out specific information on it or prices to guide me when selling it. I believe it to be anywhere from 1872-1893 by dating when they first started making these items. But has anyone ever seen one of these? Is there a collectors market? What would be a rough value on it. Please help here are the detailed pics. Thanks everyone!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian Western Electric Annunciator
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:44:45 pm »
If you want to know more...yours is an electric bell annunciator; aka known as a needle annunciator.  If you go to google patent search and search electric annunciator, Western Electric you will come up with LOTS of annunciators by WE...and go through and find your particular one!!!!

Some background on Elisha Gray and the Needle Annunciator.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisha_Gray

Here's an electric bell annunciator (different company) for a hospital!  
http://www.thebakken.org/wp-database/index.php?pid=artifact&type=category&category=Z2.1&id=342

Another bell for 2 rooms
http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=annunciator

Here is a Butler/Maid Call by Bunnell & Co that is similar in style to your

FYI  There were also electric bell burglar alarms made that were VERY similar!!!!!
http://books.google.com/books?id=v5dVAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA256&lpg=PA256&dq=western+electric+bell+annunciator&source=bl&ots=RsO-Fd1pGU&sig=0n9Uf9AiM5Wg5CqYoyjaaqmsE8Q&hl=en&ei=lu_uTeH7EdKTtwfr7ODCCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CFIQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=western%20electric%20bell%20annunciator&f=false
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:46:34 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jcomas311

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 09:32:10 pm »
Do you have any idea what the value might be? A rough estimate of the amount i could get for it? Thanks for your reply.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 10:18:16 pm »
Can you please post a few more pics...of the backside view.....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jcomas311

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 07:46:07 am »
This is pretty much the back view. Pretty interesting for the late 1800's. As it sits what would a rough estimated value be and restored what do you think it would fetch. Is there a big market for these types of Victorian Gadgets?

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:53:16 am »
A quick check on ebay shows 3 active antique ones and 2 completed auctions so I would gather the market is limited or very limited. Selling price on the 2 completed were $31 and $93 with 2 and 8 bids, respectively.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 12:00:45 am »
The prices range...but it appears that your piece has an issue....apparantly missing a faceplate piece!  So look at lesser end.  There are collectors out there!!!