Author Topic: Antique Violin Question: Value of Violin  (Read 1560 times)

alinsgirl

• View Profile
Antique Violin Question: Value of Violin
« on: January 31, 2005, 09:33:49 am »
Hi, I just recently purchased an antique violin in hopes of refinishing it to play it....I was wondering if I should try to refinish it or if it worth more as is? About what would it be worth. It is from an estate auction in Rhode island from a house where there were 16 old violins. It did not come with a bow...or anything else...

THE VIOLIN MEASURES APROX. 24" LONG AND INSIDE THERE IS A TAG WHICH READS: ANTONIUS STRADIVARIUS CREMONENSIS THEN IT LOOKS LIKE: FACIEBAT ANNO #17?? THERE IS A DOUBLE CIRCLE WITH A CROSS AND THE LETTERS (AS) IN THE CIRCLE. THE VIOLIN HAS A SPLIT IN THE NECK AND THE NECK DOES NOT JOINT THE BODY IN THE BACK. THE GLUE LET LOOSE. FROM THE WEAR ON THE NECK, THE VIOLIN LOOKS VERY MUCH USED. IT IS PAINTED ON THE BACK WITH (AS YOU SEE IN THE PHOTO) AND HAS THE INITIALS: H.P. THE BACK SECTION LOOKS LIKE ONE WHOLE PIECE OF WOOD. THE STRINGS ARE ALL APART, AND THIS VIOLIN COMES IN A HARD CASE WHICH LOOKS BIGGER THAN THE VIOLIN ITSELF.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohos ting

What does the painting on the back signify? I thought that it was unique but am very interested in the hispory of it.

If anyone could help...I would be grateful. Thank you!

Monique