Author Topic: Pioneer Trolling Motor  (Read 1589 times)

adje

Pioneer Trolling Motor
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:58:59 am »
Yesterday while yard saleing, this old trolling motor caught my eye, so i paid $5 for it.   It looked like it had been sitting on the ground in someones barn for years and I kinda figured it wouldnt run. Got it home, blew it of, and it worked perfectly!  It has a brass name tag that says PIONEER  - Middlebury, Indiana.  It seems that this may have been a minn kota motor but form some reason branded pioneer.  I have not found whole lot of information for this guy.  Im kinda thinking its from the 40s-50s? Anyone know for sure??? They seem to be going for $125-250 range on Cl and ebay. Am I about right on this as well?  Im not sure what I want to do with this thing yet, though it would look great on my aluminum canoe!

waywardangler

Re: Pioneer Trolling Motor
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 08:09:33 am »
If you are going to use this, I would grease the drive cable and I would also use it only in cooler weather as this is an air-cooled motor and would overheat in hot weather. Most, if not all, modern trolling motors have the sealed motor in the water where it stays cooler and does not overheat based on air temp.

Some guys collect these but they are more of a novelty for actual use. A new modern trolling motor will outperform this one any day.