Author Topic: Epiag Aich bone china 100 pieces  (Read 5624 times)

secondsop01

• View Profile
Epiag Aich bone china 100 pieces
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:09:20 am »
Hello, Fellow Antiquers,

I'm glad to have found this site yesterday while searching for more information on my set of Epiag Aich bone china. I am interested in finding a place to sell it and would like to price it fairly.Here's what I know about it so far.

• I bought it from two elderly twins in 1984 in Arlington, Vairginia. I paid $300-350 for it.
    The mark on the bottom indicates it was made between 1920 and 1939 (collectorscircle.co m).
    It consists of 7-piece place settings for 12 plus 16 serving dishes.
    The cups are particularly unusual because they are straight sided, something one doesn't see too often.
    There is only one piece with damage--a cup with a hairline crack. Otherwise the set is perfect.

I have searched eBay and found an Epiag Aich set of much fewer pieces for $799. Craig's List in Washington, DC, has several listings now for china, the most comparable being a 12 place settings for $2,000. Another lists Royal Doulton Athens for $1,500, and Johnson Brothers, 16 place settings for $1,500.

Here are some photos of mine. Any assistance you can provide as to value or the best place(s) to offer it would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 08:10:54 am by secondsop01 »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Epiag Aich bone china 100 pieces
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:44:21 am »
      First point is China Sets are hard to sell, Ebay would require you to ship something that is not only expensive shipping Cost, but really hard to pack safetly, I did it once and won't sell a whole set on Ebay again, It was 1/2 of what you had and took a couple of hours to pack.  Overall They are hard to sell because you don't really have China set Collectors, People who buy whole set are going to use them, Sometimes a Dealer will buy them but they have to get them so cheap to make it worth there while.  Over all I can pick up a Fancy china set for around $200.00 to $300.00 that size in the Antique mall or Consignment store, even less at a auction.  Sad to say one can make more money by splitting the set up.  If you have a big name like Wedgewood, Johnson Bros, Limoges and etc. and you have what is called Extra Fancy set, you will see it move faster and at greater price.  Right now everybody has got a set from Grandma and just want to sell it, the market is full.   What you have is Moderate name, Fancy set, if you place a $500.00 or more price tag on it, you will have it for some time until someone comes along and likes it,  Then top off with bad economy well it is quite the challeange to sell a set of china right now.

secondsop01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:14:52 am »
Thanks. Sounds like the cold, hard truth to me, but I welcome other opinions.

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 10:28:45 am »
Ironlord knows what he is talking about.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 11:55:55 am »
Sadly, Ironlord is correct !! Only thing you might try with ebay is sell for local pickup. That just means that whoever buys the set must pick it up !!  No shipping that way !! Lots of people that sell furniture use that method.  Should you use that method specify paypal or cash at pick up as payment. 
Looking at the style of your set I would have guessed it was made much later. Doesn`t look like anything I have seen from that early date. Style just doesn`t fit the date.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 12:22:00 am »
It will sell if it is a highly popular brand and pattern.  Sets are harder to sell and get the true value/worth.  Most people end up splitting up set and selling piece meal (which is REALLY SAD) but can at least sell some and get some $$$$.

Ironlord does know and gives some great advice!

Best of luck!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

secondsop01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:19:08 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I don't need the money that much to break up the set, but I'd like to find another home for it. For now, I'll keep it. If my daughter --or the Czech nanny next door--get married in the next few years, I'll give the set to one of them.

Thanks for all your advice. You've saved me a lot of work and disappointment.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:26:15 am »
I hope your daughter or the Czech nanny next door, appreciate it!  ;)

secondsop01

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 07:29:22 am »
Well, I know the Czech nanny would. Thanks!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 08:35:14 am »
Very impressive course of action.  I have learned to do the same over the years....and give to people/persons who appreciate them!  Your heart will be rewarded!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!