Author Topic: Need Help w/ID of Lamp and Shade  (Read 1737 times)

Debbelle

• View Profile
Need Help w/ID of Lamp and Shade
« on: June 14, 2011, 12:54:59 pm »
This lamp was in the family for several years and I just ended up with it. I have no information about it except the lamp itself. There are no identifiable markings on it that I can see. I believe it's made out of mahogany, has an oriental hand-painted design with small areas where the paint is 'puffed up' (sorry but I'm not familiar with all the terms). The most difficult part is the shade. I've had a couple of antique-oriented people who did not know. One thought maybe Isenglass. It almost seems material-like and can tear, but, yet it's hard. The outside of it is rough like sand but looks like teeny tiny pieces of glass or beads. It is hand-painted as well.

Unlit in the daylight, it looks more dull. But, when you use a flash camera, it lights up brilliantly. Also, when it's lit, it has a very warm soft glow. The 4 pictures here is not enough to show everything, but, if anyone is interested in sending me their email address privately - will send over more pictures. I have spent many, many hours (20+) searching on the Internet to try to find something like it, but have been unsuccessful. Any information is appreciated - info about the lamp, what the shade may be made out of, and a value.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:07:06 pm by Debbelle »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Need Help w/ID of Lamp and Shade
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:01:49 pm »
I think your lamp is from the 30`s - 40`s And I have seen the shades such as yours but cannot remember what they are called !!  They look like tiny beads are applied and parts of it are like puff paint !!  I will think of it if you give me a little time  !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 02:15:59 pm »
I am bumping this back up in hopes that someone will remember what these shades are called. I have tried to recall but it totally eludes me. My mind is getting old I think.  They are rather uncommon and were from the 30`s or 40`s I think. Assistance please !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:58:42 pm »
mart, are you trying to think of sugar shades that are from the victorian era? ( Material overlaid with tiny glass beads that were the size of sugar)

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 02:28:35 pm »
Possibly so !! Did you look at the one here ? It has areas that are raised that look like the puff paint they used for T-shirts. The fabric is rather stiff, almost feels like fiberglass.

Debbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 05:34:44 pm »
Here are a few more pictures of the lamp and the shade - to aid in identification. The shade when duller is unlit and taken without flash. When it is brilliantly bright, it is unlit and taken with flash; when it is a warm darker glow, it is taken with the bulb lit, but no flash.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 05:45:27 pm by Debbelle »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 12:19:01 am »
Sugar Shade for sure!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!