Author Topic: please can someone help UPDATED (thanks all so much)  (Read 3316 times)

justinaj6747

• View Profile
please can someone help UPDATED (thanks all so much)
« on: July 14, 2011, 07:27:47 am »
Hi, I have what I think is a water jug, it stands about 10" tall, is in a crackled biscuit colour and has cobalt blue and rust coloured flowers embellished with gold on the stems and leaf veins and also around the rim and base. It has a tin? swinging lid that sits on small pins and fits into cut out grooves on the lid. Can anyone tell me what it is and how old please.
*********************************************************************************
Ok, first of all thanks to all that are trying to help.
I have uploaded some more pics, however these are all taken on BB so not great. I have modified the images on PS to try and highlight the areas requested, this has however altered background colours making them lighter and exagerated the pattern colours on the foreground detail.
The markings on the base are a 'V.' and what looks like a '15', however from my view and as I have tried to over highlight, it looks like an oriental marking of some description.
The lid is of a type I have seen before on an edwardian water jug/pitcher and is very smooth, almost like the feel of lead with a grey, lead/silver colour. The little balls that hold the pins on which it pivots have been braised or soldered with a same coloured metal, unless the whole thing has been dipped, and the pins seem to be of a different metal, possibly brass?. The underside of the lid has a small weight with a tool mark in the middle, but it is only a tool mark and there are no makings at all apart from slight wear. Hope this helps, any more requests? ask and I will try to sort. Thanks guys.
Thanks all so much, will keep researching!!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 04:06:43 am by justinaj6747 »

justinaj6747

• View Profile
pls help more pics
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 07:32:12 am »
sorry added more pics. justin
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:20:05 am by justinaj6747 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: please can someone help
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 12:54:08 pm »
Could we get a clear, square, side view showing the decoration and one of the bottom as well? The views from the top looking down into the pitcher do not tell much !! The bottom is where most were marked if at all !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 12:57:00 pm »
I think the first pic is of the base, with a 15 and a 'v' or an 'L'. That lid interests me, especially with how it sits.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 03:48:53 pm »
Almost looks like something Independence China Did, at least the shape, not sure about the handle.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 04:41:31 pm »
That one did not download for me. Happens a lot with dial up !!  It starts but does not finish !!  Best I can say is that it does look like a water pitcher. When you pour the swinging lid opens and then closes as its moved upright !!  Antique or not,,,I like it !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 12:23:06 am »
Can you also please post a pic of the underside of the lid?  Any markings on it?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 01:47:27 am »
That one did not download for me. Happens a lot with dial up !!  It starts but does not finish !! 

Thanks mart, I have the same problem and had been wondering iffen it was my problem alone.

Sometimes it seems as though I have to keep clicking the "back" button and trying another one until I select a post that I had previously uploaded ......... and then it will upload any of them, ..... which makes me think it is a server problem.   

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: please can someone help UPDATED
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 07:45:38 am »
Ok have done some research and this is what I think will be key as Mario pointed out "the LID intrests me"  It also caught my eye good one Mario!! ;) this is what I have found  I believe your piece was made by Dudson The company was started by Richard Dudson in 1800 in England and is still  family owned in production today. Again it was the lid and here is the only one I have found so far http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Dudson-Stoneware-Pitcher-Pewter-Lid-ca-1880-/160563425914?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item256253727a   This is a really good match!!!! Here is the company info & they do have a museum. I would try & contact them and see if they can verify if this is one of their early pieces. http://www.dudson.com/company/dudson-museum    good luck & let us know what you find !!!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:30:43 am »
Well found, Wendy! I had seen a lid like that before but couldn't and still can't recall where or when.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 11:49:44 am »
Wouldn't the one in the link have to be post-1891 with the England mark? I just read that in another thread. :P

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 12:19:25 pm »
You're right, Hosman, it became a legal requirement over here in 1891  to comply with legislation from across the Pond (your side!) the  McKinley Tariff Act.

Bit more info here

http://www.pottery-english.com/Articles/Pottery_Marks/Pottery_Marks_and_Backstamps/

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 12:55:07 pm »
Actually most of the time it is marked with a Foil or Paper label for the more modern Items.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 05:35:22 pm »
Yup hosman Mario is correct!! I do not trust most ebay folks to do a great job with research!! Dudson opened the factory in 1800 justina may have a very early piece.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 10:09:30 am »
That one did not download for me. Happens a lot with dial up !!  It starts but does not finish !! 

Thanks mart, I have the same problem and had been wondering iffen it was my problem alone.

Sometimes it seems as though I have to keep clicking the "back" button and trying another one until I select a post that I had previously uploaded ......... and then it will upload any of them, ..... which makes me think it is a server problem.   

Not just you !! Takes a while on my computer for pics to download, if at all, depending on how many users are online !! Here BB is quite expensive ( or so it seems to me ) !!  Running around $70. to &125. monthly plus you have to buy equipment  ( another $300. ) ect to have it installed !!  I just can`t justify the expense !!  I can buy a lot of stuff with that money !!