Author Topic: Overshoot Glass Basket, Boston and Sandwich Cir. 1880  (Read 2170 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Overshoot Glass Basket, Boston and Sandwich Cir. 1880
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:30:22 pm »
      Just thought I would show you a item that I am working with now.  Bought this at a auction a few weeks back, for a amazing $5.00.  No one seem to be bidding and I figured it had to be worth that.  When I got it in my hand I was shocked.  It had a tag on it claiming it to be Overshot Glass, made by Boston and Sandwich Co.  Cir 1880's.  I will always first take hand written tags with a grain of salt, or Autographed nose hair sometimes.  But have been looking into it, and look thus far to be legit.  Also thought me a bit about what is called overshot Glass.  Anyway, if anyone may have information to make me happy please let me know, but all and all just had to share a most wonderful piece of Antique Art Glass with all you folks.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Overshoot Glass Basket, Boston and Sandwich Cir. 1880
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 11:08:53 pm »
Oh wow, that's quite lovely! Looks like a good deal for $5 bucks!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 11:15:30 pm »
Here's an article on Overshot glass, yours looks clearer than the example I think.

http://www.theglassmuseum.com/overshot.htm

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 11:17:15 pm »
Yes, that does look quite wonderful for $5, ironlord. I am not familiar with overshot glass, so I am no help to you. I see that you mentioned autographed nose hair so I assume that you are familiar with that. Did you make a deal with mario and end up getting one from him? If so, is the quality up to snuff so to speak? And is the autograph legible because I would not want a less than perfect example that people would turn their noses at when looking at one in my collection?

I'm sorry, here we were talking about overshot glass and come to find out it is overshoot glass. I do not know anything about that particular glass either. I have talked over shot glasses but have never shot over shoot glasses.

Good article here http://www.theglassmuseum.com/overshot.htm on the difference between crackle glass and overshot glass. I see Tales has already posted this link.

Here is a similar basket on eBay in yellow http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200609968602&clk_rvr_id=247880558745
It looks like you made a really good buy at $5, ironlord!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:59:59 pm by waywardangler »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 12:40:22 am »
That is a lovely piece, Ironlord ... and looks like you picked up a real bargain!

And I refuse to make any comment on autographed nasal hair! But even if you did 'take it with a pinch of salt' it might still stick in your teeth!  ;D

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 01:06:48 am »
If these guys are correct, I think you got your $5 worth ironlord   :)

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,boston-sandwich-glass,284608.html

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 06:08:28 am »
Ironlord OMG Boston and Sandwich glass co.  how WONDERFUL a glass junkie like me can not express how excited I am for you to find such a beautiful piece from this company!!!!  This company Being close to home for me  is a huge find for you as not much of this glass is floating around !!!!! a little info on Boston glass for all The Boston and Sandwich Glass Company was incorporated in 1826 to hold the glass factory built a year earlier in Sandwich, Massachusetts, by Deming Jarves. The factory was closed in 1888 amid disputes with the newly formed glassmaker's labor union. So if this is indeed Boston glass it is a huge find and to be such an ornate & beautiful piece is wonderful!!!!  :o have you found many company records on pieces made??? Will do some digging tonight!!!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 09:20:02 am »
    Thanks all,  I figured I got my money worth just out of sheer beauty.  I got really lucky at that auction, and even got a few other really cool pieces.  The auction house here a couple of months ago decided to add a monday night session to the general auction.  This session is for smaller items, coin jewerly and etc. Well it would seem that not many show up for this session and it appears nobody but me was into glass, so I got lots of steal deals.   Pick up a Stuben vase also for $5.00 too, that brand new cost $500.00.  This Vase does not look like anything special at all, even the Auctioneer Questioned it to be a stuben, well when I got home sure enough it was a stuben, called a teardrop, personnally I think one would be crazy to buy one of these new for $500.00.  They sell on ebay for around $50.00, I'll add a pic for you to see.  But the real story here is all you in the NW make sure you go to the Auction house in seattle on Monday for sure.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 08:26:42 pm »
Looks like a great deal IronLord!