Author Topic: Antique US Capitol Amber English Souvenir Plate Age, Origin & Value? Age 1883?  (Read 1461 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
I have an old Antique US Capitol Amber English Souvenir Plate. The plate measures about 10" in diameter. I would like to know the age of the plate. It has a transfer of the US Capitol on the front. The Plate has scalloped edges (the photo flash has distorted it in the attached image). On the back there is 3 Kiln stand marks. Also a 1 over 05 stamped on it and what looks like the the number 83. Would the number 83 date this plate to 1883? It also has the word "England" over top of the words "Capitol Washington. D.C.". There is no Hallmark on the plate. The image of the US Capitol on the plate looks almost exactly the same as from a photo I've seen taken from 1880. I have never seen a US Capitol Souvenir Plate older than maybe 1890 that I saw online. I have not been able to find a copy of the this plate in any online search. I have included an image to help identify the plate. Can you help identify the plates age, origin and value? Also, would you know if it may the oldest know type of this kind of souvenir plate of the US Capitol if it is from 1883?

Thanks,
Kevin

" width="826" height="3283" border="0
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:12:23 am by KevinM »

mariok54

• View Profile
Hi, It has to be post 1891, as that was when 'England' started to appear with backstamps. The 83 is possibly the pattern number.

This comes from

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/general.htm

'England':- Inclusion of the word 'England' in marks denotes a date after 1891, although some manufacturers (Thomas Elsmore & Sons for example) added the word slightly before this date. 'Made in England' denotes a 20th-century date.

Do you know what it is made from?

KevinM

• View Profile
Thanks for the information mariok54, it was helpful!

Do you know what it is made from?

It's my best guess that it's some type of Earthenware Clay Pottery (I don't know exactly) with an over glaze applied.

Although, I do find it interesting that the other plate I found online (Blue & White version with some variations - See link below) has the exact same US Capitol transfer on it in the center of the plate but it also has the maker initials of BBVF and their seal or Hallmark/Emblem. I wounder if that plate was a later version of this plate with the makers marks. I also wonder why the plate I have has none of these types of markings?

http://www.rubylane.com/item/153293-RL-4626/US-Capital-Blue-White-English

I've read that some of these transfer images may have been used for years.

Thanks,
Kevin