Author Topic: Relish Dish  (Read 1991 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Relish Dish
« on: July 17, 2011, 08:21:25 am »
I also found this in a box of free garage sale leftovers.  I thought it looked retro and not sure if it is an antique.  It is numbered 16/89  and there is something embossed on the bottom on the edge of one of the sections but I have tried everything - even pencil to try and determine what it says.  If anyone has any information it would be appreciated.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Relish Dish
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:10:18 am »
    Looks like a classic Mid Century item, 50's or early 60's, with out being about to make out the stamp on the bottom would be hard to find the maker and pattern.  It is a wonderful piece of mid century China, and there are many who collect these types of things.  But overall value would be under $20.00 for the most part.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 09:37:54 am »
Thank you for the information - I wish I could figure out how to determine the embossing.  I even resorted to rubbing it with a marker to see if the letters would stand out better.  Hmmmm I will have to keep working on it.  It doesn't look like English what I can see of it.  Just makes me more curious!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:59:31 am »
 Looks 60`s retro to me !!

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 01:13:09 pm »
Once again, pics are too blurry to see any detail.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 01:32:27 pm »
Ok the pic of the dish design doesn't look blurry at all unless you go to open it - then it is tremendous and all blurry - the numbering on the bottom of the dish is slightly blurry to start with - is there a better way to save the pics so they don't enlarge so much?

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 01:36:22 pm »
Is there an ideal size pic?  I used the macro on my camera for the numbering so not sure and would appreciate any suggestions for better photos.

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 01:39:58 pm »
I am referring to the pic of the bottom that has the embossed or impressed logo/lettering in it. It is too blurry to even see a partial image of it. The dish design pic is fine.

It is possible that with the macro setting and low light, a hand held camera will take blurry pics. I would use a tripod if possible. If no tripod is available, set the camera on some books on the floor and prop the dish against the wall.  Steady the camera with one hand and after focusing, slowly push the shutter release.  See if those turn out better.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 01:45:34 pm »
Thanks  ;DI will try that

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 01:58:09 pm »
I have had the same problem on occassion !!  I found that the farther away from the object I stay, as long as it looks clear in my viewer, I can take the pic, then crop in my computer without losing the crispness !! Since you are only interested in that one area. Not the rest of the object !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 06:10:08 pm »
Ok I gave it another shot - this shows the numbering much clearer but I am going to keep trying different lighting and maybe a magnifying glass to try and determine the embossing.