Author Topic: Vase - Info on Origin/Region, Age and Makers Mark  (Read 3666 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Vase - Info on Origin/Region, Age and Makers Mark
« on: August 03, 2011, 07:27:21 am »
I recently purchased this vase at a local thrift store for $3 and would like to know if anyone may be able to identify the origin/region, approximate age and the makers mark. The vase is about 7 inches tall, 4 inches wide at the base and about 5 1/8 at it's widest point in the center. The inside of the vase is glazed and you can see and feel the ribbing inside the vase that was created while it was being made on the potters wheel. I realize this may be a fairly recent vase but I really have no idea if it is or not so I thought I would ask. I like the vase regardless of it's age or value. It's a very heavy little vase and well made.

Also, I seem to have an on going problem with the prices of items being applied with magic markers. Anytime I get a porous item like this vase and a magic marker was used to price the item, I find it almost impossible to fully remove the magic marker. I've tried using dish washing detergent and soap with a fine bristled toothbrush on the mark on the vase with little success. Does anyone have some miracle way to remove magic marker prices from the items they have purchased for porous and non-porous items? I'm sure a lot of people have run into this problem at one time or another, haven't they?

Thanks!

Kevin

" width="803" height="1343" border="0
" width="778" height="576" border="0

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 07:52:58 pm by KevinM »

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Vase - Info on Origin/Region, Age and Makers Mark
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 09:15:16 am »
Mark is very hard to see in photo looks to be TJ. try and do a rubbing of the mark.

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:09:05 am »
The question of removing permanent marker from METAL was on another forum and the answer was to use Premier Mark Remover HD a product of FemCo. (219- 256- 5556), Mishawaka, IN. That is what is used on vandalism marks.

I have used Goof Off on plastic buckets and it removes most of it. I have also used alcohol with limited success. I do not know how any of these will work on pottery.  Using anything on a painted surface normally removes the paint also. Some plastics tend to melt with certain cleaners. Anything you use, use in a small area with a Q-tip to see how the material reacts and always have a bucket of water handy to neutralize the cleaner if need be. Nothing takes marker off paper.

Read this and sort out what you think might work and then try it. I think many of these are non-effective. http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Permanent-Marker-from-a-Smooth-Surface
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:14:17 am by waywardangler »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:11:30 am »
I just want to get my shotgun every time I see black marker on stuff !!

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 10:16:36 am »
That and masking tape or adhesive stickers applied to an old cardboard box or paper cover at a garage sale. I will not even attempt to remove those without hairdryer heat first. A double barrel would work...one for the permanent marker and then one for the adhesive sticker.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 10:52:25 am »
Be careful not to use anything oil based to remove marker from  unglazed pottery  bottoms it is very porous and will seep into  pottery base and create what looks like a stain that can not be removed.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 12:29:08 pm »
I wonder if bleach (and a q-tip) would work?

Also, I've used hairspray with some success to remove ink (on clothing)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:30:45 pm by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 02:10:16 pm »
That and masking tape or adhesive stickers applied to an old cardboard box or paper cover at a garage sale. I will not even attempt to remove those without hairdryer heat first. A double barrel would work...one for the permanent marker and then one for the adhesive sticker.

Do not have a double barrel currently but have a 12 gauge Browning that shoots just as fast !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 07:56:41 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the replies, information and suggestions!

Wendy, I've added a rubbing of the artist's mark in my original post above as you've suggested. I'm sorry but I think I got a bit carried away and tried to show a lot of different angles of the mark. I think it could be "TJ" too but then again it could be an "R"?

I've tried to scrub the mark made with the magic marker with alcohol then scrubbed with a toothbrush then used canned air to try and clean it without success. I also tried bleach and scrubbing then flushing it with water with no success. I've also tried Oxi Clean but that didn't help. I read that using alcohol and WD40 on the mark might remove it but I'm not going to try that without testing it on something else first. I have not tried Premier Mark Remover HD.

Thanks again,

Kevin

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 09:14:00 pm »
Looks Mexican to me. The coloration and style resembles some my wife has.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 05:25:17 pm »
Hairspray and nail polish remover are die hards!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 07:30:09 pm »
Success! No, not with finding out anything about the vase but cleaning the Magic Marker off the porous bottom of it... a victory in itself!

So what worked? Well, after trying a lot of things with limited success as I explained in a previous post, what finally worked for me was bleach and 6-12! You may be asking yourself, what is 6-12? It's insect repellent, I dug it out from the back of a closet where it was placed many years ago! I'm not even sure if they still make it but you can probably find it on ebay like almost everything else. I tried other insect repellents like Cutter, but they didn't do the trick.

Ahhh, the days of good old 6-12, sitting by the camp fire roasting marsh mellows and camping with your 6-12 on. Fishing while standing in a thicket of weeds and cattails next to a pond that smelled like a marsh, sinking up to your knees in mud while the crickets chirped and bullfrogs bellowed. Laying in the sand on a beach on a calm hot summer day, listening to the waves pound the shore while the sea gulls laughed away. Good old 6-12, that's what I remember it was used for (day dream ends here...). Sorry, got carried away a bit, brought back some memories.

Anyways, if you've managed to last through my rant and read this far here's what I did to remove the Magic Marker from the bottom of the vase (visuals of after and before included below).

I dipped a cotton swab into the 6-12 Insect Repellent bottle and applied it to the magic marker mark totally saturating the marked area only and let it stand for about 1 minute. This 6-12 Insect Repellent is in liquid form (2 Fluid Ounce Bottle) and is non-flammable. I then took a peice of a cotton cloth and soaked up the fluid and most of the magic marker which had solidified into it. The next thing I did was fill a bottle cap half full of bleach and using a fine bristled tooth brush I dipped the brush into the cap and applied some bleach to the remaining magic marker mark and let it set for about 1 minute. Then I scrubbed the mark and placed the vase bottom under running tap water for another minute while scrubbing it at the same time. I then completely dried the vase and repeated the above steps 2 more times. That's it, the vase seems to have no trace of the magic marker now.

* Standard Disclaimer: Your results may vary. Use at your own risk. I'm not responsible for any damages caused while implementing this procedure or any variation of it. :)

Kevin

" width="731" height="344" border="0
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 07:36:17 pm by KevinM »

waywardangler

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 08:08:05 pm »
Amazing! 6-12? Really? I used that years ago for insect repellent and while effective, it was quite greasy/oily. I sure am glad repellent has changed.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 10:40:37 pm »
Wow....that cleaning lesson kinda of "bugs" me!  LOL
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!