Author Topic: Okay, how about this beer stein?  (Read 1437 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Okay, how about this beer stein?
« on: August 02, 2011, 03:19:57 pm »
I picked this up at estate sale. We have all seen beer steins, but this one is 1.5 litres. Only marks on the bottom are imprimted "Germany" and the # "1641" . I imagine the 1641 refers to the model. The lid is made from Pewter and has ornate designs on it.

Printed around the bottom of the picture are the words"Mit Trinken und Lieben, werden die Grillen vertrieben"

There is also a 3 letter printer mark around the top of the stein on the outside, which seems to read mon*  or maybe mgn*

Anyone know if this is worth keeping or put it in the next garage sale? Think I picked it up for $5 at an auction becuase I had never seen one that big before. It stands 15 inches high to the top of the lid.

waywardangler

Re: Okay, how about this beer stein?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:14:18 pm »
I was just at Germanfest in Milwaukee WI over the weekend and there are larger steins available. For $5 that was a steal.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:22:18 pm »
There was a little clip on Antiques Roadshow about steins a few weeks back. Some of them are quite rare and valuable. But there are also very good fakes (and equally bad ones) which makes it tricky to authenticate them. I think something like this may need to be posted on a stein collector forum, unless anybody here has a good amount of experience with steins.  Very cool!

steincollector

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 08:53:51 am »
Hello hudsonhacker,

The design of your stein dates to around 1900-1920. It was produced by either Reinhold Merkelbach, Simon Peter Gerz or Reinhold Hanke. There may be clues to the manufacturer on the base.
These 3 producers sold their own steins, but they also worked together for a number of years in a sales consortium called Steinzeugwerke. Steinzeugwerke is known to have sold many steins and related items to the States in the early part of the 20th century.
I agree that at 5 dollars it was a snip, so enjoy it!
Your model is also listed online here: http://www.mysteincollection.com/catalogue/view_item.php?art_ID=2640

prosit!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:16:21 am »
Nice of you to bump this one up Steincollector !!  Hudsonhacker is on frequently and I am sure he will appreciate the info !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 09:42:36 am »
Welcome Steincollector!!  Thanks for the info - HH will appreciate for sure!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey