Author Topic: Please Help. Would like Info and value.  (Read 1113 times)

MysteryPainting

• View Profile
Please Help. Would like Info and value.
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:06:10 pm »
Hello, My name is Tony.

I'm taking allot of peoples advice and trying to get info on this item from several people but nobody ever replies back.
I have done extensive research online trying to find all the info I can on this item but have found very little. I was hoping
you could help me? I don't want to take it to a local dealer for fear they will give me a low price in hopes that they can obtain it.
First off  I've only found one place with any information of the item. The Smithsonian Museum has one in their collection and have a picture of it online for viewing. The one I have looks to be in better condition than theirs. I've found multiple sites with the history of the company which seems quite impressive, But not the item itself.It is a Surveying Convertible Transit/Level. From the description the Smithsonian Museum gives of it it was made in the late 1940's to early 1950'sbut has no value or history attached to it.
The Transit is made by C.L. Berger & Sons of Boston Massachusetts.The company history can be found here.

http://www.surveyantiques.com/clbergerheartpage.htm.

The Smithsonian Museums Information on it can be found here.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/surveying/object.cfm?recordnumber=998409

Ive attached a picture of mine. It is a little dirty and has a few paint chips missing but fully functional. I don't want to clean it as I know some chemicals can destroy the value if there is any so I'm scared to as it seems to be a very rare item due to the lack of online info.Please if you know anything about it or have resources that can assist I would love to know some of it's history and an estimate of its value so I know if it's worth paying to have restored or insured. Thank you in advance for anything you may come up with.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Please Help. Would like Info and value.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 12:32:47 pm »
What is the model number on it !! There are many Berger transits online for sale old and new,, is there a reason this model is rare compared to others ??  To me it looks like most of the others of that time period !!  What makes this one different ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help. Would like Info and value.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:54:45 am »
Could you please post any additional information....plat e markings or any words/markings on the item.

Word of caution....just because you can't find alot of information on the information highway doesn't make it rare or highly valuable.
That could also mean that it isn't a highly discussed/publicized item and/or that it isn't a highly desirable item.  So, lets try and get more info to help you out!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!