Author Topic: 1869 Builders Half Hull ??  (Read 4176 times)

kjtorris

• View Profile
Re: 1869 Builders Half Hull ??
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 11:55:42 am »
Interesting.

kjtorris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 10:23:15 pm »
Do the wood samples usually hold any value? Or can anybody place a value on this item. I have had several dealers very interested and I want to make sure we get the proper market value.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 02:23:33 pm »
Sorry but I am at the same conclusion that it is a decorative piece. 

Also, in many countries it is not uncommon to use salvaged pieces to make art pieces.  They way they get aged pieces to make a "modern aged" piece.

It is still a very interesting piece that would be very sell-able as a decorative item....just not as an authentic item.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 11:02:34 pm »
Just my gut reaction on seeing the images ....

It's a carving of a barque , perhaps one with a shallow-ish draft , having the curious feature of a sub-gunnel fender (or 'bumper' , if you will) at it's bow , perhaps for navigating 'shrubbed/treed' areas of inland &/or tidal waters .

The calligraphy used by the engraver of the metal tag seems to be in keeping with 'it' (meaning the calligraphy) being within the timeframe engraved upon it .

In my opinion , this piece will be a hard sell as authentic + a high price (without it's provenance) online or otherwise , if represented as an 'official' model from the company mentioned .... this is not to say that it does not have high appeal with the nautical folk-art nitche .

Since the carving skill exhibited by the carver of this item is not too great , I'd consider that it may have been made by a sailor , for reasons unknown , and later tagged with the brass that's on it today .... carving was a most common trait/hobby for many shipboard folks , during the sail era .... often times for trading/selling at ports where they'd lay up at .

I can't really tell from the images , but I'm curious to know if there were some other metal pieces/elements (on the sides of the ship) that are missing now ?

As far as dating it , well , I guess that one could use a bit of science to discover the type/age of the glue that appears to be still holding  the pieces together ...

Cool item , regardless of what it turns out to be , kjtorris .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "