Author Topic: Antique Dressing Table  (Read 2014 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Antique Dressing Table
« on: August 24, 2011, 08:08:18 pm »
We also currently have this antique dressing table/vanity that belonged to my friend's grandmother.  These are old pictures on a horrible camera but it is all I can post right now.  I remember posting last summer on a website - I don't think it was this one and someone did give me the name of the manufacturer -which I forgot because we decided we wanted to keep it.  They also said they were worth quite a bit 15+ years ago but no one was buying this style any longer.

Wondering if anyone here can offer any information.  The white tops you see are marble - not broken - good condition - the mirror does detach and is 5' in height.  There is one drawer pull missing - drawers are all functional.  Inside the top drawer on the right I believe there is a wooden covered section for powder maybe?

Any information you might be able to tell me from these pics would be great.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Dressing Table
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 09:15:44 pm »
Reminiscent of the Eastlake style to me.  Will wait for others to chime in.  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 09:01:13 am »
I think you are correct Sapphire !!  The dresser looks like what we see from the U.K. !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 04:36:06 pm »
Thank you Sapphire and Mart - yes Eastlake it is - same type of marble tops.  Does anyone know if it is true these days that these pieces are not much in demand and therefore not worth what they were at one time?  If we decided to sell this I would have no clue what they might be worth.  I have seen similar Eastlake pieces listed for several hundred to several thousand.  Stumped again   ???

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 05:18:22 pm »
I don't know about where you are but here on the east coast of Canada about $250-350. That would be general Eastlake style

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 05:27:48 pm »
I can't seem to see the 'crest' (top) of the mirror unit ....

I'd say your appears , to my tired eyes , to be a bit older in style than eastlake (late eastlake , anyways) ... the style seems Victorian era , though .

It would be nice to know if this is a veneered cabinet ; also the type of wood it's components are made from .... if it's a walnut wood (solid hardwood , that is) , it's value is highest in most of the U.S. markets .
If yours is indeed a 'manufactured' cabinet with machine-made wood joints , it's value will often be less than a craftsman/artist hand-made cabinet .

The drawer compartment ("covered") you'd mentioned is a section for holding gloves .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 06:29:40 pm »
Eastlake, Queen Anne, were both part of the Victorian period !! You frequently see a blending of styles in furniture such as the crest which is more Queen Anne !!  But if you will notice as you look at the bottom of the dresser the straight lines of the Eastlake style !! You could call it either one or both and be correct !! In fact many listings do use both Eastlake and Queen Anne to describe the pieces, or just say Victorian which covers it all !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 07:23:24 pm »
Thank you all - this piece is actually in storage right now (yikes) and as soon as I make some room here I will be going to get it - then I can take much better pics of the mirror top etc.  I am just learning about wood so I am not sure off hand what type of wood it is or how it was manufactured - by hand or machine - but hopefully as I get better pics of everything I can learn more about it. 8)