Author Topic: Stone Carvings, How to reach collectors  (Read 1217 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Stone Carvings, How to reach collectors
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:22:00 pm »
Came across (and bought!) a marble carving from a Canadian Artist called Roland Nicolas. From what I have manged to find out, he was a bit of a recluse, but his works have sold throughout the world, for significant dollars. How would I best market a high end piece that has a high value, but limited market acceptance? To the collectors of his  work, these are worth thousands of dollars (according to a high end gallery owner in eastern Canada who was a friend of the artist). My problem is reaching these collectors. I figure this forum is a starting point.

Are there any websites dedicated to stone carvings or marble carvings? I am having trouble finding a dedicated website forum for this type of art. Really , really cool piece. Sorry the pixs are so blurry, bad light and a bad camera!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Re: Stone Carvings, How to reach collectors
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:52:21 pm »
Those seem to be the only sites that refer to his work, yet I have spoken to 3 separate dealers in Montreal, and they have all heard of this artist. Just bizarre! The guy definitely flew under the radar screen. I have a meeting with a down town (Read expensive) gallery on the weekend to see how I might proceed with them. Fingers crossed! I expect to pay them a cut of 35-40% of any sales priice for consigning the piece (if it is higher than that, I will work the sales directly myself somehow!)