Author Topic: Pikes Peak Souvenir  (Read 3943 times)

tporter17

• View Profile
Pikes Peak Souvenir
« on: August 25, 2011, 06:10:01 pm »
I have a souvenir from Pikes Peak that I found in a dresser that belonged to my grandmother. The item is a large penny, with a diameter of about 3 inches give or take.  The front has an Indian head with the words "Lucky Penny" around the outside. The backside has a picture of a railroad track and a train.  Around the outside it says "Summit of Pikes Peak" and "Altitude 14,109 ft".  I did a little research, and because of the altitude number, this was made between 1909 and 1951. The altitude amount was different in the years prior to this, and after. However, this is the only thing I have found about it. I have not found one sentence about this penny on any website and I hoped I could find some help here.  Does anyone have any information?

tporter17

• View Profile
Re: Pikes Peak Souvenir
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 06:44:35 pm »
Pictures of the coin

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 07:55:22 pm »
I came across this history of Pikes Peak and noticed in 1938 the introduction of 'streamline cars to replace the steam engines used by the Cog Rail.  If the coin represented the 'current day' amenities I would expect to see that streamline car rather than the engine shown on yours. ........in which case yours would date prior to 1938.  Just tossing this around mind you.  ;)

http://pikespeak.us.com/Learn/history.html

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 08:00:54 pm »
Another bit..........

http://www.skyrunner.com/story/pp_medals.htm

"Charles Hartman put the elevation of Pikes Peak at 14,109 feet in 1907 and it was changed by the USGS in 1913 to 14,110 feet. Although that helps with the date it often took people a while to get caught up. " 

** Is the 'scene' side of that Lucky Nickel the same as yours??

Author's note......."I am always trying to expand my collection. If you know of another medal relating to Pikes Peak NOT including these please let me know"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:23:11 pm by sapphire »

tporter17

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 09:15:47 pm »
Interesting about the trains!

I came across that website during my search.  However, I also came across this site which is why I dated it at 1909 to 1951. 

http://pikespeak.us.com/Learn/fun-facts.html

"Another USGS survey in 1909 reset the altitude at 14,109. We could not find the exact date, but the altitude was again reset to 14,110 on or before 1951. "

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 11:11:50 pm »
The earliest one I found like yours , on a quik search , was one sold  (auctioned) on 2-25-2007 , described as a '1919' (worthpoint) .

There seems to be a few series of 'indian head' strikes on a number of items like yours appears to be (around 70 Cm. ?) , from older & more recent times .
Yours sure appears to be in pretty fair condition , considering the images of ones for sale o/l .

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 09:15:54 am »
Wayward had a post about a Pikes Peak cabinet card he came across.  There is a little more history about the railroad in that thread. Nothing on coins but it may be interesting to you. Some neat old pics if nothing else...

http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=8423.msg41640;topicseen#msg41640

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

tporter17

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 10:23:43 am »
fancypants - do you have a link to where you found this?  I'm trying to search on worthpoint.com but I'm not finding anything.

tporter17

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 10:26:45 am »
Also, the coin is actually in pretty good condition. There are some wear marks but for the most part it has been kept in the paper sleeve it came in and kept in a dresser for who knows how long.  I just took it out of the dresser a few months ago after having the dresser for 10 years.  I got the dresser after my grandmother died and my father has also died so I have no history about the coin.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 11:48:03 am »
I'm guessing that perhaps your grandmother visited the Pikes Peak site (on your medallion) & that the visit meant something to her .

As you probably know , Pikes Peak was a popular (a blend of hi-tech & rustic) site , esp after the addition of the cog train .
Maybe your Gma went there on her honeymoon ... you could search records to see when/where she was married ... maybe some family photos around to link the story together , somewhat ?

The location (o/l) you requested :

www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-1919-pikes-peak-colorado-lucky-penny
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "