Author Topic: Brown Ceramic Calf, Gold Painted  (Read 3059 times)

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
Brown Ceramic Calf, Gold Painted
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:28:54 pm »
This piece has me puzzled in more ways than one.  I don't know what the holes at the top are for, for one thing.  Also it's unmarked and I haven't found a potential maker yet.  The bottoms of the feet look like terra cotta so I guess it's glazed ceramic, gold painted detail, and then clear gemstone eyes (created I would assume).  Anyone see anything like this or have an idea why there would be holes on the top?

(ironlord is on tonight so I may just post all my puzzling finds  ;) )

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Brown Ceramic Calf, Gold Painted
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:56:32 pm »
   O.k. this one if fun for sure  :D   I'm for sure not the kitchen expert "just ask the other half"  ;D   I would assume it would be for putting a kitchen utensil in. Like wooden spoon, but just a guess.  As for the cow it self, looks pretty mid century of early late century is age.  Most likely a mexico import from the looks of it.  Which would be really hard to find maker. 

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 09:05:59 pm »
That is an excellent guess!  I'm going to try putting a wooden spoon through it and see how it look and if it goes thru.  Mexico also a good guess.  Will look into that.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 09:11:43 pm »
    Mexico is first and formost when it comes to terra cotta style pottery, you should see the 200 plus Tonala Pottery collection I have   ;D   Funny story behind that is I started Collecting those because of this forum.  Anyway going away from subject, this would not be considered Tonala, but is mom and pop Pottery shack stuff, mostly can tell because of the bottom of the hooves,  This sat in a kiln, rather then in a factory on a Belt.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 09:22:08 pm »
Oooo cool!! (both about your pottery collection & that this sat in a kiln...sounds so mom & pop charming)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 09:33:32 pm »
Another kinda cool not is since they had a hole in the top for the "???"  they did not need one on the bottom.  As for my Pottery collection, not sure it is all that cool, Mysty (the other half) hates them.  As I mentioned earlier, when I first started this forum someone posted one, and I learned what it was, that same day I found one in the thrift store, and I still buy every piece I get my hands on.  They have little value and you find them everywhere, every tourist that went to mexico brings on back, either one they paint themselves, or done by a famous Tonala Artist like Ken edwards.  They end up in a big box, have one Large platic tub full and working on my second.  More of a addiction, just bought 6 the other day.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 11:43:39 am »
Not sure but if it is small,, could be a holder for salt and pepper shakers !!  Note the indentation on the sides where something would have rested !! I had a couple like that when I bought a collection of S&P shakers recently but not calves !! One was a donkey and I forget the other one !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 11:47:36 am »
Good call mart kind of like this one.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 11:54:50 am »
Wow, like the salt & pepper shakers would actually go inside the holes?  Interesting!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 11:57:40 am »
   Actually I think the holes would be made for the holder and the salt and pepper would hang off the side, is what I think mart ment

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 11:58:47 am »
Oh ok thanks, that makes more sense.  I got confused  :D  I was thinking, wouldn't the salt & pepper spill in?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 01:40:32 pm »
Thta exactly what I meant Ironlord !!  Wouldn`t spill with the tops up !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 02:42:58 pm »
Elsie the Cow was EXTREMELY popular in the 40's after Borden made her the spokescow!

So many different styles/versions of cow paraphernalia emerged during that time and yours is an exact fit for that time period.

Here is an example of S & Pepper holder from that time as well...they hung on this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-COW-FIGURINE-4-1-2-TALL-ANIMAL-/180196958695#vi-desc

http://www.ioffer.com/i/cow-holding-salt-pepper-shakers-a2114-165325655

Believe we had one similar to this back in the archives somewhere!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 01:10:02 am »
Thank you!  Very cool!