Author Topic: Wavecrest jewel box - Destroyed the value???  (Read 1207 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Wavecrest jewel box - Destroyed the value???
« on: September 10, 2011, 04:26:01 pm »
Figured I would take a shot at this Wavecrest Jewelery/handkerchief box. The thing is really awesome, but has issues. The box itself is 6 1/2 inches long by 5 1/2 deep, by 4 high. It has the wavecrest mark on the bottom. (I could post an additional picture, but based on the rest of the post, you will guess why I didn't bother!)

Issues:
1) The hinges have come out of the top portion. Is it possible to get it repaired?
2) This is the big problem....there is a crack along one end, and it has been badly repaired. TO THE POINT WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE EPOXY ON THE EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR OF THE BOX.Has the value of this piece been totally degraded down to nothing?

I picked this up years ago, and because of the crack, I forgot all about it. I was online doing some checking on other stuff today and came across some Wavecrest stuff for sale, and it is fairly expensive glass ware! Do I have a pretty box with a crack in it, or a sellable item???? I think I already know the bad news, but figured I would share my grief with others.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 04:34:42 pm by hudsonhacker »

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Wavecrest jewel box - Destroyed the value???
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:15:14 pm »
Wavecrest does bring high prices but being a collector of glass you now have a pretty box with a crack in it  :(  We (glass collectors) are a VERY picky bunch and look for no cracks, chips or flea bites. You could contact a professional to see what the price will be to restore it but even professionally restored you will not turn a high price on the selling end. It is a very pretty piece though.

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 07:02:12 pm »
Oh well, I will get the hinges repaired and surprise my daughter with a nice present!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 07:10:33 pm »
You can solder them yourself since you won`t be selling it !! Or epoxy !!