Author Topic: Glassware identification books for beginners?  (Read 2318 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Glassware identification books for beginners?
« on: September 11, 2011, 10:23:21 am »
Hello everyone,  There seem to be so many people here with expertise in different areas and everyone always speaks of their reference books.  Is there a particular book you might recommend for a beginner that wants to learn more about identifying glassware?  The other area I am totally clueless in is wood.  I can usually tell if something is cherry or pine but have no clue if something is oak.  Does anyone have a recommendation for books on learning about wood?

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Glassware identification books for beginners?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 11:45:22 am »
    Not sure if I could recommend any one book on Glassware, I have several each usually deals with one subject, So much involved with Glassware.  I tend to use my Fostoria book, and my 200 most popular stemware books the most, I have about 10 Depression glass books, but it seems I don't need them all since they mostly have the same patterns in them.  I would just reccommond, picking up any book you get your hand one at the thrift stores, and if you need a specfic subject, look to Amazon or a online book site for those you need the most.  After a few years, you will have enough books to help you along your way.  All in All nothing beats the internet, Ebay, Replacements, and most of all Google images.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 02:52:26 pm »
Thanks Ironlord. I also thought I would just look around on Amazon and Ebay - found Elegant Glassware of the Depression Era and Florence's Glassware Pattern Guide 1998 - thought I would start there.  We also have a great used bookstore in our area and as soon as I can get there I will look there as well.

I definitely think I have been hooked  :o

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 03:59:47 pm »
I agree! There is nothing better that the internet. I tried a few books from the library one with photos, but there is so much to learn! The other one was sketches. I was so overwhelmed and everything just blurred together. I just stopped trying to figure out what I had. I give credit to those of you who have become experts in it. Google images has become a dear friend to me.  :)

Good luck in your adventures in glass kidden! I do hope you are hooked, then you can help me. LOL! :D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 06:01:11 pm »
I have the 13th edition of the Elegant Glassware of the Depression Era.  It is a good book and has great photo's

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 06:04:22 pm »
One great book I have is Colored Glassware of the depression Era 2 by Hazel Marie Weatherman great book to start with, I have several more but this one is my favorite!! :) This book touches on companies Akro Agate to Westmoreland and about 45 others.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:08:28 pm by wendy177 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 06:59:23 pm »
Best thing to me is the internet and hands on trial and error !! If you google "learning about depression glass" you will find more help that you know what to do with !! No one book or site is all inclusive !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 08:39:48 am »
   Thanks for the book tip wendy, I will have to check into that one.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 10:04:39 am »
Mart agree (internet and hands on trial and error) but books like Weathermans that I mentioned contain 100s of original catalog reprints by many companies that went to stores & retail outlets for ordering of their product. Very beautiful and unique pieces describing size & colors produced that can not be found on line. Ironlord is correct  about books on dep glass  they mostly have the same patterns in them, But this book does not  it contains many pieces I have not seen in person or on line in all my years of research. This book is  a must get Ironlord  ;)  http://www.amazon.com/Colored-Glassware-Depression-Era-Book/dp/0913074047