Author Topic: Italian Candle Holder  (Read 1539 times)

scottnshelly

• View Profile
Italian Candle Holder
« on: September 12, 2011, 11:02:05 am »
Hello,

My grandfather gave me this candle holder recently.  He said he bought it for his wife, my grandmother, at an auction for $2.  They used it when the power went out for many years.  On the bottom it says Made in Italy Mod Dep.  It weighs four pounds and the arms swivel in pairs. 

I’m interested in knowing more about this, like how old is it.  I did a small amount of Google research and didn’t find anything similar to this particular model.  Any information is appreciated.  Please let me know if you need more pictures or details.

Thanks,

Scott

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Italian Candle Holder
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 12:12:18 pm »
They used it when the power went out for many years.

Their power went out for years!!!???   :o
hehehehe!!  Just had to tease you a little.  Consider it your Welcome to the forum hazing!  ;D  ;)  ;D  ;)

I don't have much to add but am looking forward to others responses.  My neighbor has one similar that was her mother's and I have always admired it.

Very pretty!!

And all joking aside...  Welcome!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

scottnshelly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:53:50 am »
lol good point Oceans64, i worded that wonky.  Thanks for the welcome!

Here is a picture of the underneath where it says Made in Italy Mod Dep.  If you look closely you might be able to see a dead spider from it being in storage for a little while lol

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:03:55 am »
It could have been made anywhere from 50`s onward and many were exported for sale !!  Govt. added the "Made in" to country of origin early 50`s !! The adjustable arms were pretty common !!

scottnshelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 09:29:42 am »
Thanks mart, that makes sense.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:51:26 am »
Had to google that Mod Dep on your candelabra !!  Mod. Dep. means modelo depositato in italian which means "registered design" !!