Author Topic: Embossed Peterson Seed sign... age??  (Read 1753 times)

JoshandLila

• View Profile
Embossed Peterson Seed sign... age??
« on: September 14, 2011, 06:13:25 pm »
Hi folks! I found this old embossed sign in my Grandmas garage rafters after she passed away with a good half inch of dust on it, just wiped it off and it looked brand new! My Grandpa had been a farmer his whole life so Im curious if this has some age (and hopefully value) to it. I googled it and found this same sign but with a Pioneer logo at the bottom and a LOT of rust so I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about mine. Looks GREAT on our garage  ;D . small print at the bottom of the sign says stout-Lite by Stout Sign Co. Thanks for any info!!
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

mart

• View Profile
Re: Embossed Peterson Seed sign... age??
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 06:48:06 pm »
Nice find and in great condition !! I think it was most likely from the 60`s or 70`s and for a local producer !!  Stout Metalworks has been making metal signs since 1886 and is still going !! And they made a lot of them !!  Money wise your sign would bring about $30. to $50. in my opinion because it is in excellent condition !! I think I would put it inside rather than outside because the weather will cause it to chip and rust !!  Signs like this are likely to go up in price over the years so I would want it in as good a condition as it is now !! It would appeal to a broad range of buyers should you ever sell it !!

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:29:15 pm »
thanks for the info, and yes I pulled it off the garage lol. The one I saw that sold was very rusted and had a pioneer emblem at the bottom. It sold for over $80. was it the Pioneer Seed emblem that give it its value over mine without it?
H. G. Wells

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:48:02 pm »
Hang on to it.  I'm sure it will be worth even more in the future!  Store it well indoors if possible and consider it an investment!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 08:36:56 am »

No,, you really never know what an item will bring until it goes up for sale !! Perhaps the graphics were better or the colors just went with their decor is the reason they wanted the Pioneer sign !! Or could have been that pioneer was local to the buyers !! One sign can go high and same sign,, listed a week later will not !!   Thats just the way it is when dealing with the buying public !!  You can not outguess them !!

thanks for the info, and yes I pulled it off the garage lol. The one I saw that sold was very rusted and had a pioneer emblem at the bottom. It sold for over $80. was it the Pioneer Seed emblem that give it its value over mine without it?

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 07:32:36 pm »
kinda figured it was a "luck of the draw" thing on the price cuz I know the graphics werent better ( it was the same sign, just had another emblem at the bottom)  thanks for they advice :)
H. G. Wells

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 08:08:18 pm »
Its a nice sign !!  If you sell I hope its on a good buyer day !!