Author Topic: Silver Maker's mark from 1855?  (Read 1721 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Silver Maker's mark from 1855?
« on: September 17, 2011, 02:54:18 pm »
Hi

I am trying to date a Creut Castor I have. I have included a picture of the markings on it. I have not taken a picture of the piece yet as it looks like it is made of dull pewter. It will require some elbow grease to clean up! I did a very small section and it is nice triple plate underneath, but it will be a few hours work to get it looking how I want!

May not be a clear picture, but it says:
R.W. & Co.
Manufacturers
Triple Plate

So, obviously it is made by Robert Wallace and CO. From the research & have done, his company name was Robert Wallace Company in 1855. In 1865, it was re-organized under the name name Wallace, Simpson, & Co.

Now, my question: Would the R.W.& Co. mark be used after it re-organized to become Robert, Simpson, & Co? If not, then that should allow me to confidently date this piece as being from 1855-1865. If not, how long would he still use the old mark? I have heard that some companies kept using old marks even after a name change. Specifically, someone informed me of that about the Simpson, Hall, & Miller Co. (Now, this was told to me over the internet, so I am not stating that is true, just something I was told!)

Hoping it is from the 1855-1865 period, I do not have one that old yet! My Oldest is from around 1895. Once I get the piece cleaned up, I will add a picture to this thread.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hudson Hacker

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Silver Maker's mark from 1855?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 03:20:58 pm »
Here's a great website to check for hallmarks &/or forums about them , hudsonhacker , (while you're waiting for responses ...) :

www.925-1000.com

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 01:22:00 am »
I found nothing in one of my books that is a wealth of old marks and information. But then again, I have a 1950s reprint (not updated) of the 1928 edition. I'll check the rest of my library later and see if I can find anything.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 10:08:48 am »
Thanks Rockandrollrods. I have been searching online, but not a lot of info.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 12:56:25 pm »
Would help to see the whole piece.  Here are some patterns made by R. Wallace & Sons (was based out of Wallingford, CT and now go by Wallace Silversmiths, Inc.).  http://leonceantiques.wordpress.com/2008/09/26/r-wallace-and-sons-sterling-silverpatterns/

According to Wiki the name became R.W. & Sons Mfg. Co. around 1871, so it's doubtful your piece is from before 1871.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_Silversmiths_Inc.