Author Topic: My new old Roootop  (Read 2213 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
My new old Roootop
« on: September 25, 2011, 07:43:39 pm »
     O.k.  just got back from the Auction today, and the lady has finally got her way.  She has been trying to get me to get rid of my vintage year 2002 Sanders desk.  Figured these press board desk goes vintage after about 5 years  ;D.   Anyway she just bought me a new desk at the auction, She paid $100.00.   I should have it in a couple of days, got to find a friend with truck.  Just thought I would give you a peak,  I will know more about it in a few days, but here is a small picture of it.  It is a Asian style relief Art thoughout the desk, It has a Rolltop, and the funny seat that actually slides inside the desk.  Pretty sure it is not Antique but I think it is vintage.  It does have dove tails, anyway  Like I said I will know more later.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Re: My new old Roootop
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 07:49:47 pm »
Awesome, Ironlord! What a wonderful gift! I love it. It kind of looks like if you pushed the chair in, it would make the front look solid. Better give the OH a big hug for that one.  ;)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 08:07:18 pm »
Great buy!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

lindasguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:01:55 pm »
It looks great! Can't wait for more pics! Love it!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 09:04:07 pm »
Neat piece Ironlord! I was just admiring one with a hidden chair like that the other day. Have a look at this little desk. I love the hidden chair concept.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2602653182.html

Antiqueaholic in recovery

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 09:12:13 pm »
So glad to hear you've now (almost) got a desk you can sit on !!!

My kneejerk on this new-to-ironlord rolltop is that maybe it's camphor ?

Any way , I'd guess that chances are very very good that all the cats over there (including you) will like using it .... the 4-legged ones may be baffled , for awhile , when the rolltop is down ....
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 09:19:04 pm »
Beautiful piece!!!! What a lucky guy to have such a great lady!!!! ;)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 10:00:54 pm »
Thanks for all your wonderful comments.   Fancy I take it Camphor would be a type of wood?  I am hoping to get a date nailed on this maybe maker, but will have to wait to check it out.  Didn't get much of a chance to look yet.  I'll keep up posted and get some really good shots, maybe tomrrow When I go pick up all the other stuff I got, Got about 20+ various figurine too, seems no one was bidding on these, about 20 what they called Hummels, but when I look closer they appear Hummel style.  I didn't get to preview these cause I wasn't expecting to bid on these, but got the lot for $10.00.  Anyway again thanks for the commits and have a great eventing.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 10:15:08 pm »
Ya got that right ironlord ; thinking that the misc carved panels are camphor , but not gonna guess on woods in the whole desk , though !

I've had cats in my lifetime , several of whom REALLY liked camphor & also a couple were gaga over some cedar boxes , almost like catnip to some !
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:17:24 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 11:31:24 pm »
Thanks good to know, our two Kids "Cats" will let me know if it is camphor, might have to invest in another water bottle though, don't want them adding to the carvings.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 07:40:23 am »
Thats a beauty !!  Much nicer than the roll tops you see around here !!  Waiting for more pics !! Great gift !!

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 08:18:29 pm »
what a gorgeous find!

If it's camphor, it will be easy to tell -- find an unobtrusive location, and rub or even sand the wood.  Camphor wood is where you get camphor, the patent nostrum.  It will have a distinct medicinal smell, if it's camphor.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 11:28:27 pm »
Yes, it will have a distinct smell.  Remember mom using Campho-phenique on brother's cold sores....definites smell.

Camphor was used widely used in Asia and was also used in other areas.  Cannot tell the designs on your desk.  Really a nice find.  She did good!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!